Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fridge water dispenser delays dispensing

The water dispenser on my Kenmore side-by-side pauses before releasing water. When first used in the morning it takes about 5 seconds to open. After that, less time is required. If not used for several days it takes about 35 seconds before water comes out. The model is 596-9500910 and it is 21 years old so obviously not worth calling repair service. Otherwise everything works fine. Thanks for any suggestions. I'm thinking it is either the water valve or the small switch activated by the dispensing lever

The water dispenser pauses before releasing water
    There is a water reservoir in the fridge section (usually behind the crisper drawers) where the water for the dispenser is chilled. On early models this was a molded plastic tank (see image below). The material these were made from can loose its rigidness over time and flex with pressure. In that condition when the dispenser is activated the tank first expands with the fill water pressure and water only exits the tank to go to the dispenser once maximum expansion of the tank is achieved. Only then will water flow get to the dispenser, resulting in a delay.

Someone should inspect the water reservoir used on your model to see if it is a molded plastic design. If it is, it can be replaced with the now more commonly used coil of plastic tubing which doesn't suffer the same fate over time. Most modern fridges use that system instead of a molded plastic type.

LINK > Kenmore 596.9500910 Water Tank Replacement Kit

There is also the case of a crack in the reservoir allowing air into it. The air gap that results first needs to fill with water before water will exit the tank to go to the dispenser. Such a crack may cause leaking of water into the fridge compartment. Any signs of that?

I don't know of anything else that would cause your symptom unless maybe the electrical switch in the dispenser mechanism has slow activation but that is doubtful IMO

it is 21 years old so obviously not worth calling repair service.
    I wouldn't say that. To replace the appliance would usually be $1,000+. You can have a lot of repairs done for under that. It is usually only if the repair was going to be more than 50% of the cost of a new one that a repair would usually be considered uneconomical. Of course, you'll have to decide how much a properly functioning dispenser is worth to you.

JMO

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Last edited by Dan O.; 12-30-2011, 05:44 PM. Reason: Spelling... as usual

Comment

Thanks Dan. I checked and we have the coiled plastic tubing style. Seems to me it has to be either the door delay switch or the water valve. Other ideas?

Comment

Seems to me it has to be either the door switch delay or the water valve.
        Someone could check for power at the water valve as the dispenser is activated. If power there was immediate, it should rule out a switch problem.

LINK > Kenmore 596.9500910 Water Fill Valve

Dan O.
        Appliance411.com

Comment

Thanks. I assume this test would be done by pulling off the wires on the valve and checking for power with a volt meter. Is that correct? Or would it be a continuity test across the two wires when the water dispenser arm is actuated?

Comment

I assume this test would be done by pulling off the wires on the valve and checking for power with a volt meter. Is that correct?
            The wires wouldn't necessarily have to be disconnected to check if voltage was present at the valve but you could. You're not actually checking the voltage reading, just if it is present. But yes, a volt meter or even just a test light could be used to confirm when power is present at the valve.

Testing on a 'live' appliance can be dangerous. Follow all safety procedures if you attempt it.

JMO

Dan O.

Comment

some solenoid valves use water pressure to keep it open. when it is energized the movable sleeve is sucked up into the magnetic field and opens a rubber to metal seat allowing water to flow. some open just a little and water flowing opens it up the rest of the way. spring tension closes the valve when power shuts off. resistance reading for continuity really doesn't mean much unless you are into the engineering aspect of the appliance. you can read resistance on a bad valve as well as a good one. the online voltage check in operation is the best way to troubleshoot a valve.
              another way would be a clamp around ammeter around one of the solenoid valve's wires.

Comment

Fridge water dispenser delays dispensing

Voltage shows on the valve as soon as the dispenser lever is pushed, yet no water comes out for a long interval (40 seconds this morning). I take this to mean the valve is not actuating properly and needs replacement. Unless someone has other ideas I'm going to order a new valve. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Unless someone has other ideas I'm going to order a new valve.
                  The only other thing I can think of that might cause it is air getting into the water reservoir tubing. I don't know if you can see through the coil of tubing to see if it is completely filled with water all the time or not. If an air gap was present, water would first have to fill that gap before it could travel through it to the dispenser.

Other than that, no I can't think of anything else that could cause your symptom besides a problem in the water valve itself although I've never come across such a case myself but anything is possible.

LINK > Kenmore 596.9500910 Water Fill Valve

JMO

Dan O.
                  Appliance411.com

Comment

I ordered the valve and will post the results.

Comment

The new valve came today and I installed it with no problem ($30 on Amazon). The dispenser works like new. Water starts immediately and with full force. It was coming out kind of slow before. Solenoid must have gotten sticky after 20 years.

Many thanks to both of you for your suggestions and support.

Comment

Fixed!

The new valve came today and I installed it with no problem. The dispenser works like new.
                        Glad to hear it. Thanks for the follow up.

Dan O.
                        www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        =