Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reuse galvanized Fence post?

Neighbors down the street are throwing away 3 fence posts set in concrete. I have been wanting to put in a gate where my canoe is.

Can I reuse those metal posts? They seem to be in good shape. I would dig a hole ( 3 holes ) and ease these puppies in each hole.

It probably isnt as efficient as a fresh hole, fresh cement new pipe but will this work over time?
    Last edited by vdotmatrix; 01-11-2012, 08:08 AM.
    It\'s sometimes better to be lucky than smart.

If you don't want to add more concrete to the post when you backfill use a slurry, in other words wet down the soil as your backfilling, not just wet but a slurry, works best if you have sandy/ish soil not clay. Or backfill the hole with drainage gravel sized rock, or heavy tampering of fill in 6" layers.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Fencew posts....

I've reused several over here like that. It helps that there's almost all sand to do that. As Pushkins says, put in about six inches and tamp it well. Add six more, tamp again. My cousin used one the same way in a dirt/clay area with success, too. The fence/gate post has been rock solid for over four years.

Comment

Originally posted by pushkins View Post
        If you don't want to add more concrete to the post when you backfill use a slurry, in other words wet down the soil as your backfilling, not just wet but a slurry, works best if you have sandy/ish soil not clay. Or backfill the hole with drainage gravel sized rock, or heavy tampering of fill in 6" layers.
        That's a great idea if we lived where there was actual soil like Florida but Virginia is aweful backbreaking clay barney rubble. How hateful...

I have determined that the fence which is probably 50 years old is about 40" tall maybe more like 39" now....
        Anyway, a year later and I am revisiting this project.

I have determined that the fence which is probably 50 years old is about 40" tall maybe more like 39" now....

The smallest gate (galvanized ) that I found at either Lowes or HD was 42" x48".

QUESTION: Can I move that ornamental galvanized swirl to the adjacent side and mount the gate short side ? It is on part of the property not in public....

thanks in advance
        The smallest gate (galvanized ) that I found at either Lowes or HD was 42" x48".

QUESTION: Can I move that ornamental galvanized swirl to the adjacent side and mount the gate short side ? It is on part of the property not in public....

thanks in advance
        It\'s sometimes better to be lucky than smart.

Comment

try, if they dont work buy new ones

Comment

Working...
          X
          =