Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 14/3 - two circuits?

I have seen instances where two circuits are fed by 14/3 or 12/3 wire, one using black, the second using red, and both sharing the white neutral wire. I don't know if that's jake or not, but I have situation where it would be helpful if that was okay: low amperage circuits, less than 10 amps each, light fixtures in a basement.

So, okay or not?
    Bill in Kansas City, MO

Measure with a micrometer
    Mark with a crayon
    Cut with an axe.

14/3, 12/3 and 10/3 can all be used in a split circuit. The neutral will share the unbalanced load of the circuit. Use a double pole common trip circuit breaker NOT two seperate breakers.

Comment

Originally posted by DuneMe
      Remember power can be fed in two ways . . .

...snippety-snip...
      I understand the difference between series and parallel circuits - one of the first things I learned about electricity, wayyyyy back in high school. Just to make sure I'm not missing something, what is the point you're wanting to make in the context of my question?
      Bill in Kansas City, MO

Mark with a crayon
      Cut with an axe.

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
        14/3, 12/3 and 10/3 can all be used in a split circuit. The neutral will share the unbalanced load of the circuit. Use a double pole common trip circuit breaker NOT two seperate breakers.
        Cool, thanks. My fear was that having a common neutral between two circuits would tax that wire beyond a safe margin.
        Bill in Kansas City, MO

Mark with a crayon
        Cut with an axe.

Comment

Exactly DuneMe - what's your posting have to do with the OP's post? I think I pretty much answered seamlyne's post.
          Seamlyne - the white will carry the unbalanced load. For instance two 10 amp loads on a double fifteen amp breaker, ten on one breaker section and ten on the other breaker section. The breaker is rated for fifteen amps, so ten amps will flow on the white. or if you have two 15 amp loads then zero will flow on the neutral.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =