Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GE Profile fridge water dispenser is erratic

We have this 5-year old side by side fridge PSC23NS which I never blamed of being a great product (it was installed by the condo's developer). Lately the water dispenser is being erratic, it sometimes works, sometimes it won't. My daughter, who likes fixing things, started pushing all the display's buttons while pushing a cup against the lever, and she always gets the dispenser to click and produce water.... It works, then it stops working, then we play again with those buttons, and we get it to work again... The filter is relatively new. We also tried reseting it. But I think the ICE maker is shot.

I tried pulling the plug, wait 15 minutes, which I've done in the past when the fridge's thermostat was going a bit whacky in the past, but for this problem, it failed fixing it.

What could be the problem and is there a DIY trick?.... I'm not interested in calling GE, I'm close to just purchase a better fridge (of course, NONEY, or lack of it, is the issue...)....

Clarification needed

Lately the water dispenser is being erratic... But I think the ICE maker is shot.
    What does the icemaker have to do with the water dispenser? Is the icemaker (which makes the ice cubes) malfunctioning as well?

Dan O.
    Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

Comment

GE Profile fridge water dispenser is erratic

Even when the water dispenser IS working, pushing the ice buttons, "crushed" or "cubed" --- nothing happens. I even took out the ice container to see if the ice cubes are loose, 'cause many times they stick together to a large "rock" -- but they're loose, and still, no reactions from the ice maker.

Thanks, Dan.

Comment

Terminology

I think you are confusing the terms "icemaker" and ice "dispenser". The first is only responsible for actually making the cubes, the other is for dispensing them.

When the dispenser is malfunctioning do any indicator lights still work?

To see what parts of the dispense system might be the cause of problems we will need the complete model number from the appliance's model and serial number identificaton tag. What you posted is incomplete, missing at least 4 letters. PSC23NS_ _ _ _

Dan O.
        Appliance411.com

Comment

Yes, sorry, I'm only referring to the dispenser on the left door....

And yes, the lights are all functioning as usual. But the water dispenser is, as I described it, erratic, sometimes it works (you hear the click and then water comes out), then again, it doesn't. The ice dispenser is not working at all, neither the crushed nor the cubed, even when the water dispenser is working.

Here is the info you requested:

Model PSC23NSTE SS

Serial VL 451593

Thanks again, Dan.....

Comment

Model PSC23NSTESS
            That's better.

The ice dispenser is not working at all, neither the crushed nor the cubed, even when the water dispenser is working.
            That could be caused by the auger drive motor (see the following link) not functioning. That could be due to a defect in the motor itself (requiring it to be replaced), the motor just frozen up (common on some GE models) or a problem at/in the dispenser switch mechanism or the fridge's main control circuit board on the back of the fridge or a loose wiring connection between the two.

LINK > GE PSC23NSTESS Auger Drive Motor

LINK > Auger Motor Boot (helps prevents freezing if not there currently)

LINK > GE PSC23NSTESS Main Control Board Assembly

LINK > GE PSC23NSTESS Dispenser Interface Board

Unfortunately other than checking the auger drive motor itself, further investigation may be difficult on your model. You may have to call in a GE repair technician to look into it for you. GE's electronically controlled fridge models like you have can be tricky to diagnose.

the water dispenser is erratic, sometimes it works (you hear the click and then water comes out), then again, it doesn't.
            That could be caused by a problem at/in the dispenser switch mechanism or the fridge's main control circuit board on the back of the fridge or a loose wiring connection between the two. There is a slim chance the water valve on the back of the fridge could be responsible as well although an intermittent failure of it is unlikely. They usually work or don't, not be intermittent.

Since you said playing with the buttons could sometimes get the water dispenser working, the most common cause of your symptom (a frozen water line inside the freezer door) shouldn't be a consideration. That could would be permanent until corrected.

JMO

Dan O.
            www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Thanks.... But....

Dan,

I appreciate your answer. This is gonna cost us hundreds of $$$, combining the initial visit, the part/s and the work...

This fridge has never been a big hero...... Couple times we would find ice all over the freezer and it wouldn't hold steady temperature also in the main cabin (I placed a thermometer there), which I can find at 45F in the morning (before door was ever opened for the day).... We used to have another GE Profile product, our washer (again, supplied by the condo's developer), which (at 5 years of age) was making such a noise during spinning -- I got frightened enough to just replace it with a new one (Bravos by Maytag)... My neighbor, an elderly lady who lives alone and who uses the laundry even less than us, had the same model, and told me hers just died at the age of 3....

So the bottom line is -- for me, at least -- NO MORE GE PRODUCTS. We're looking into purchasing a Whirlpool fridge, one of their French-door models (GI6F-- or GI7F--)

Would you be so kind to tell me if we're making a wise decision?

Thanks again for all your help.......

Comment

Yes service is expensive and parts for GE products are usually towards the top of the scale. Unless it was something very simple like a loose connection and could be easily found (not always the case), a repair would likely be $150+

I personally wouldn't buy a GE major appliance. Whirlpool products are usually pretty good across the whole spectrum and is the manufacturer I usually recommend. You can see what other brand names they sell products under at the following link.

LINK > The Purchase : Who makes what?

Good luck on your purchase!

Dan O.
                Appliance411.com

Last edited by Dan O.; 01-22-2012, 01:37 AM.

Comment

Thanks so much, Dan.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  =