Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Proper use of junction box feeding fluorescent light fixture.

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper use of junction box feeding fluorescent light fixture.

I am installing four inexpensive enclosed fluorescent tube light fixtures in my unfinished basement. The instructions say I should have the twist on connections between the light fixture leads and the nonmetallic cable inside a junction box. I have each junction box screwed to a cross piece between the ceiling joists, facing down so that when I screw each light fixture to the ceiling joists, the junction box will be flush with the top of the light fixture covering the hole where the light leads exit the light fixture. So, the junction box is not directly attached to the light fixture. It now occurs to me that making the wire connections will be awkward, as I will need to raise the light fixture high enough for the wires to reach each other, but low enough for me to get my hands in to twist on the wire nuts. So, I suspect I am doing this wrong. What is the proper way to have the wire connections remain in the junction box for these light fixtures?

Thanks for any advice.

feed romex from one light to another end to end. there are 1/2" knockouts in each end flap. at the last fixture take one romex out of the fixture to a j box and wire it in. you don't have to use a seperate j box for each fixture.

Comment

No punch outs at ends

The cheap fluorescent light fixtures are called "wrap arounds" and the ends are metal, but without punch outs. With the fluorescent tubes installed, the space inside the fixture is pretty tight. However, their are two concentric punch outs in the middle on the top, 3/4 inch and the larger about 2 inches. Other recommendations say I can punch out the bigger hole, screw in the light fixture, pull down the cable from the junction box through the large hole, connect the wires, and stuff it back up into the box.

Comment

there is an electrical fitting known as a duplex romex connector. this is essentially a single knockout connector that allows two romex to enter the fixture. try this

Comment

Working...
        X
        =