Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delta shower faucet drips even with new seal kit

This is the offending shower faucet eith the ball dial removed. It worked for 10 years then started to leak just a tiny drip when shut off. I put in the new seal kit with the 2 little springs and cylindrical seals. It still dripped unless I went full off and backed it off a tiny tad. I wrote it off to being out of spec a bit as the kit was from an aftermarketer , not Delta. Anyways some time later got new Delta seal kit and it is the same. All of the innards are brass and spotless and good condition. The only thing I can think of is the plastic inner chamber that the seals seat in. Am I missing something here or should I just get that part if I can find it????? Thanks.
    Plastic inner piece.like this looks fine but???????? where is the weep coming from.

Replace it all... The plastic part probably has an imperfection you could barely see causing the leak.
    I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
    Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
    Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
    Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwood View Post
      Replace it all... The plastic part probably has an imperfection you could barely see causing the leak.

Thanks Redwood. By replace it all you do mean the plastic valve body right? The rest of it is like new inside

Comment

Which model Delta do you have?
        Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe

Comment

T-13022 near as I can tell by comparing. The wife cleaned the house a while back so I can't find the paperwork but this should be the model with the clear plastic ball.

The part I need I think is RP 6074 valve assembly I think as shown here. You'll have to cut n paste the url as I can't copy both the parts and illustrations for some reason.

Comment

Yes, you probably want the entire RP46074 if that is what you have.
            Now I can Plumb!

Comment

I ordered one up online and am waiting for it to come in. I figured that since I had been setting this dial "just so" so it wouldn't drip for 10 or 12 years another week won't matter since I'm getting it for about half price. I'll let you know how it goes

Comment

I got one online and it seems that they switched the dimensions in 2006 and as luck would have it they sent me the wrong one. No biggy I can return it and it was worth the try as it was $25 rather than the $65 I ended up paying at the plumbing shop. Ok off I went to the Plumb supply and they though I was crazy as they never changed the valve designs like I said until I flipped the blister pack over and showed him the statement on the back "Fits pre 2006 manufactured models only" or something to that effect.
                Yea I'm brilliant or at least smarter then the counter guy hooray for me. I get this home and it slides right in unlike my old one in one big piece and get no water flow at all. It only goes 2 ways with the lineups in the sides of the faucet body's brass frame. Nice tight fit with the hot and cold inlets too with the hot labled side on the left. I pop it out and flip it backwards so the hot is on the right side and get full hot only which comes on suddenly and goes off equally suddenly. Hey, at least it doesn't drip. I removed the torx screw and little plastic limiter disk and white plastic calibrated anti scald disk which had no effect.
                So that's where I am now with no big disaster since we have another shower but what the heck? Now my old original popped apart in 2 pieces and depending on how you located the the brass disk on reassembly it would either work or do something like this. This cartridge looks to be one solid assembly and is an original Delta in a sealed blister pack when I got it. So is there something I don't know about here?

Comment

inside the valve body, is there a pin in the brass shell? this is the part that is soldered onto your pipes. my thoughts is that the pin wore off allowing the ball to spin around inside causing the leak. maybe you need to install a whole new fixture.

Comment

Have you ever try other things in what you have put at that moment?

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
                      inside the valve body, is there a pin in the brass shell? this is the part that is soldered onto your pipes. my thoughts is that the pin wore off allowing the ball to spin around inside causing the leak. maybe you need to install a whole new fixture.
                      The inside of the valve body ( looking down the bore) there is a brass disk with the two holes the plastic valve body slides snugly into. That is intact and in perfect shape. All the other goodies are inside the complete plastic insert that I don't think comes apart. The plastic unit is new from a sealed package. Here is a pic of the replacement pre 2006 unit I have now. http://www.google.com/imgres?q=delta...t:429,r:11,s:0 I hope the pic takes
                      My original plastic cartridge easily came apart and if you put it back together wrong it would act a lot like this is doing. If you get that kidney shaped brass disk out of position when you put it together you get anything from constant to no water, all hot cold ect... That's what makes me think it may be assembled wrong at the factory. Do the new one's come apart in the middle like the originals????? I don't want to go yankin on things that might break.
                      Last edited by driz; 02-15-2012, 04:29 AM. Reason: add pic

Comment

I get the bonehead of the year award for this one. With all the upstairs downstairs off and on with the water I never was sure which shut offs were which bathrooms. Best off they are side by side and unlabled. While messing about I forgot to swing the lever up again on one of the shut offs and never noticed it. That sure does screw up your water flow when there is no cold to mix with the hot. Funny it does things that don't really make sense but guess what when it's turned back on everything is fine and dandy once more. . Lesson learned, take the time to hook up a 500 watt work light when messing with things in poorly lit areas unless I know it cold. FWIW those newer Delta cartridges actually look a lot better built and are so much easier to adjust than the originals. There is a lot less to mess up with that one piece design.

Comment

Hmmm and hmmm again. Did you mark the valves THIS time? I put all ball valves on all my isolation lines cept the under sink feeders. those are all angle taps. Wait'll Redwood gets after you! FIREWORKS!

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          =