Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frigidare Crown series side by side problems

Ok my 96 Frigidare side by side model # F45WR24CW1 is acting up after all this time. Came out to kitchen to find puddle in front of freezer....Oh oh and opened the door to see things melting. Whats weird is the fridge started up and in 2 hours was back to normal. So left it alone and got back up fridge running and transferred important things to that one. One week goes by and it dose it again. Ok so call repairman out and he tells me its the compressor and it needs to be replaced for tune of 800.oo dollars. I hand him his 30 bucks and wave goodbye and turn to home repair on line. Find out most of the time its the defrost timer so order that on line and for good measure the defrost thermostat. Replace both and fridge is working great for a week ... i.e. freezer at 0 degrees and fridge is 40 degrees and then one morning walk out to kitchen to find water in front of freezer again ( was going to load everything back into the fridge that day) ....
    Again fridge starts back up after opening the door and comes back to normal operating temp. No abnormal sounds.... under fridge is clean. None of switches look burned and all lights are working. So call a part house and the guy recommends replacing the switch for the fan in the freezer section. So get the part and replace it. I put an ohm meeter to both and check continuity... both were the same which makes me think I have not solved the problem... just bought a part I did not need.
    So whats causing it to stall and then restart when I open the door to freezer section .... I keep wanting to go to the compressor start relay and run capacitor but the sucker works so quiet with no noise that I can't believe thats it either. Something is reset when I open the freezer door.
    Please help... my fridge looks like brand new after all this time and since its 35 1/4 in width and new ones are 35 1/2 I would have to do major kitchen remodel to get same size fridge.

Sincerely T Killeen

So whats causing it to stall and then restart when I open the door to freezer section
    If neither fans nor compressor are running when the problem occurs, the defrost timer or the thermostat could be responsible. Since you said the timer was replaced, it can likely be ruled out leaving the thermostat as a possibility.

LINK > Frigidaire F45WR24CW1 Thermostat

The contracts of a thermostat can 'stick' as it is failing. Jarring the refrigerator by opening or closing the door might just be enough vibration to unstick them temporarily. An antidotal test for sticking thermostat contacts is gently tapping (not turning) the control knob with a finger when the problem is occurring. If the fridge starts up (ie. fans AND compressor run) after the tapping, the control is often responsible and likely needs to be replaced.

Both fans and compressor should run together (at the same time). If either the fans or compressor IS running but not the other, neither the timer nor the thermostat will be the problem. Those components would stop both from running at the same time.

JMO

Dan O.
    Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

Comment

Sticking thermostat

Ok that makes sense.... i open the freezer door and it jars it to come on. So I should order the thermostat for for the freezer section then. Thank you for the update. Will let you know the outcome.

Comment

So I should order the thermostat for for the freezer section then.
        I never said that. I would suggest you try the test I described the next time the problem occurs. At least that would be some indicator where the problem might be rather than just an outright guess.

JMO

Dan O.
        Appliance411.com

Comment

Tapped knob and freezer started !!!!

Alright had the opportunity to do as you suggested ....freezer was warming up inside this time when i opened door it did not start up.... so tapped the knob for temp control and it started up !!! Yes .... mission sucsessfull !!!!
          Thank you for your patience but since this has been going on for two weeks and I am ready to be done with it I like to jump ahead..... having to wait a whole week like last time could have been a little frustrating to say the least.

Sincerely T Killeen

Comment

Yes .... mission sucsessfull !!!!
            Not yet. Let us know how it turns out after the suspected defective part has been replaced.

Dan O.
            Appliance411.com

Comment

Replaced Freezer Thermastat

Sorry took so long to get back... had to wait a couple days for part to arrive then after i installed it had to work up to today.
              When I dropped the panel that holds the thermostat found rust metal shavings under the control !!!! Bingo !! The new Thermostat turns much smoother then the old one. Now trying to get the old part out and getting the new one in was a real pain.... not a lot of room with the wire harness running thru there. Rerouted the harness over the top so the thermostat seated well in its bracket then bolted the panel back together. The fridge has been working perfect since the install.
              Seeing the metal shavings under the thermostat makes me think that these parts probably have about a 15 year active life.... probably based on the amount of humidity in the air. With the Defrost timer replaced and the Freezer thermostat replaced I should be good to go for another 15 years. I also took apart the ice been that had lots of rust on the metal parts and took off all the rust with a wire brush. My fridge looks great now inside and out !!!!

Comment

Fixed

Glad to hear it. Thanks for the follow up.

Dan O.
                Appliance411.com

Comment

Working...
                X
                =