Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whirlpool Refrig ET1MHKXM006 Not Cold

Our 4 year old Whirlpool refrigerator ET1MHKXM006 just does not get cold any more. When we turn it on we can feel the fan blowing in the freezer compartment and we hear a soft click, the light dims for a second, and then another click a few seconds later. Sounds like something (compressor?) is supposed to turn on but it doesn't. This is the extra refrigerator we keep downstairs for overflow. Does it pay to try and fix, or just replace with a new, basic model? Thanks for any help. Storm

Compressor not starting?

Sounds like something (compressor?) is supposed to turn on but it doesn't.
    That sounds like what is happening, yes. The compressor trying to start but failing and then it clicking out on its overload protector until it has a chance to cool and reset at which time the cycle would start all over again.

Without the compressor running (which it should do whenever the fans are running) no cooling can take place.

Does it pay to try and fix
    Whether it is worth fixing will depend on what turns out to actually be causing the problem. I would definitely say that should be checked out before just scrapping it. It may be relatively inexpensive to repair.

The compressor not starting could just be due to a failed starting relay assembly (see the following link) or a problem in the compressor itself. It will be difficult for a layman to totally rule out a compressor problem. It might need to be inspected by a professional.

LINK > Whirlpool ET1MHKXMQ06 Compressor Relay Asm.

If it is the compressor clicking on and off, it should NOT be allowed to continue. Disconnect power from the appliance until it can be serviced. Allowing it to continually click on and off could damage the compressor... if it isn't already the cause. If the compressor is or gets damaged, the fridge would not likely not be worth repairing.

JMO

Dan O.
    Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

Last edited by Dan O.; 02-02-2012, 04:01 AM.

Comment

Gonna Try and Fix It

Thanks for the quick help. Yes, it is turned off. I only heard the clicking when we tried to turn it back on for a couple of minutes. Thank you so much for the guidance. Now, we just have to try and find a repair person who is good...

Comment

Now, we just have to try and find a repair person who is good...
        Since it is a Whirlpool appliance I would recommend a Whirlpool factory authorized (see the link below) service depot.

LINK > Appliance411: Who To Call For Home Service?

You can find Whirlpool service depots at the following link. I would suggest a local company if available.

LINK > KitchenAid, Whirlpool and Roper Service Locator

JFYI

Dan O.
        Appliance411.com
        The Appliance Information Site

Comment

Working...
        X
        =