Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GE Fridge - Replaced the board... Ice cubes freezing together

Hi everyone,
    First off thank you to everyone who has posted information pertaining to the board failure issues and the steps to go thru to get a replacement. I followed the steps posted previously, and the lady I spoke to at GE did exactly what the post said...denied that it was a problem, not under warranty, etc. Then I asked for Customer Relations, explained what was going on, and the other lady I spoke to asked if I wanted to install the board or have it installed. Told her I would, and it arrived the next morning, no questions asked!

So I replaced the board. Easy job, took more time wrestling the fridge out of it's spot between the cabinets than to actually replace the board. Like others said, the board had additional unused connectors - it appears that this same board is used in a multitude of models, so it has additional plugs for features on other models. For reference, my fridge is a side by side model, GSS22JETGG BB. Got it in 2009.

It, too, had the various odd noise issues. It also had and still has an issue where the freezer seems to thaw itself out, and then refreeze. I can't tell you how many times we have to bash the ice in the icemaker loose, because ever time we try to use the door ice dispenser, nothing came out. That's because the ice is all in one big clump!

The board replacement took care of the noises; however the freezer issue remains. In addition to the ice cubes freezing together, the bottom of the icemaker tub has a very heavy ice and frost layer, as well as icicles are now forming too! And because of the ice buildup, the ice dispenser no longer switches between crushed and cubes - the solenoid at the back of the freezer is covered with ice and cannot move. Not that it would matter, because you couldn't get ice out of the freezer when it's one big clump, lol!

I did read somewhere that there is a defrost termination thermostat used in freezers & that it might be the culprit, but I haven't been able to find much info on it specifically on the GE's.

Any clues?

Thank you!
    Bob Prim
    Last edited by Dan O.; 02-07-2012, 12:11 AM. Reason: Made more descriptive title

Unlikely to be "melting"

has an issue where the freezer seems to thaw itself out, and then refreeze. I can't tell you how many times we have to bash the ice in the ice [bucket] loose. That's because the ice is all in one big clump!

In addition to the ice cubes freezing together, the bottom of the icemaker tub has a very heavy ice and frost layer, as well as icicles are now forming too! And because of the ice buildup, the ice dispenser no longer switches between crushed and cubes - the solenoid at the back of the freezer is covered with ice and cannot move.
    It is extremely unlikely that the ice is melting and then refreezing. What usually causes such a condition is the icemaker overfilling or water continuing to drip into the ice mold after filling should have stopped and then overflowing into the ice bucket below where it freezes the cubes together.

Frost on the icemaker could be caused by the ice cute door sticking open or possibly the freezer too cold. Around -2 deg F. for the freezer compartment is ideal for icemaker operation.

JMO

Dan O.
    Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

Last edited by Dan O.; 02-07-2012, 12:07 AM.

Comment

I have this exact problem. I replace the thermisters first, then the circuit board, and the ice cubes are still freezing together. The ice cubes are thawing and refreezing. I keep a thermometer in the freezer. At times the temperature reaches above 40 degrees. and there is water on the surface of the ice cube tray. The ice chute door is not the problem, since i don't use the automatic dispenser,because ice buildup on the switch in the back causes only crushed ice to be dispensed.

I have to break up the ice blocks or than out the ice tray about every other day and frost is building up on the frozen food at the top shelf of the freezer.

Any help on this subject would be appreciated.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =