Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Pipe Size OD 1.325"

So... I have a house built in the late 70's in California and want to install a POE water filtration system. It looks to be run with galvanized pipe from the main, with an outside diameter of 1.325". Is this a 1" pipe? I'm concerned that the filter systems on the market that state to have a 1" inlet will be too small. Anyone run into this before?

Thank you!
    Kevin

How many bathrooms, how many people? You don't size a softener by the pipe size, you size it by the peak water usage.

Where do you intend to buy one?

Comment

2 bathrooms, 2 people and the occasional guests. I was looking at the 20" carbon filters at waterfilters.net. I talked to their customer support but it sounded like the girl i talked to both times i called didnt know any more than i did.

Ideally I'd like to filter out as much contaminates as possible... I will be installing a RO system in the kitchen for our drinking water and an electronic descaler at the POE. I'm looking for something to supplement these two systems.

Thanks for your help!!

Comment

I have to ask. What is it that your afraid of in your water? What is the source of your water? Well or City/Community supply?

A carbon filter would be used mostly to remove chlorine. They also take out some taste and odor, but not much. Some other contaminates also. If you don't have chlorinated water and you have no odor, don't waste your money.

Most water, city or well is perfectly save to drink and bathe in right out of the faucet. The only undesirable items are generally chlorine and hardness with city water. Hardness, iron, hydrogen sulfide and manganese in well water, but not necessarily all together.

If you added a charcoal filter and water softener, you should expect to pay in the area of $1600.00 for the pair. This is assuming the carbon filter comes with a backwashing head.

You probably don't know that bathing in bad water is more dangerous than drinking it. But it's true. So putting an RO in the kitchen in my opinion is nonsense.

I almost forgot, you mentioned an electronic de-scaler. They don't work at all. Save your money.
        Last edited by Speedbump; 02-07-2012, 10:31 AM.

Comment

pipe sizes are generally measured by the inside diameter. about the only concern for the outside diameter is if it will fit the pipe threading die also depth of the cut thread. normally the smaller the pipe diameter the more pressure but less volume. if you ever go into a factory that has a sprinkler system you'll see pipes that start out large and get smaller towards the end of run.

Comment

Here is the water report for water in our area:

www fpud com/PublicRelations/Pressroom/CurrentWQR.pdf

We also get our water from the County of San Diego. "While FPUD is a water retailer, 99% of our water is purchased from the San Diego County Water Authority, which purchases the water from the Metropolitan Water District of Southern California. Virtually all tap water delivered by FPUD is treated at Metropolitan’s Lake Skinner Filtration Plant in Riverside County."

We are concerned with chlorine and chemicals in general. We are of the opinion that generally, city and county tap water is NOT ok to drink, hence the RO filter in kitchen. I know that this can be a somewhat controversial topic (i.e. whether fluoride is really bad for you, etc.) but i'm not interested in getting into a conversation about it. We do know that bathing in bad water is very bad for you...

I have read a lot about electronic de-scalers, and it seems that they do work based on over a hundred reviews on amazon and other websites... The one i'm looking at has a 12 month money-back guarantee even, so I don't really see it as a risk. I figure if i'm going to buy a water filter (or filters) that need replacing periodically, does it really make sense to get a 'water conditioner' as well if an electronic de-scaler will work in a similar fashion?

Comment

If you really are concerned about your water you should get it tested to see what the make up is then tailor your filtration to match. If you are going to shot gun go with a large charcoal filter up from then a good RO unit at the sink but be aware of not just GPM of filter flow but life of filter how many gallons before filter change.

Comment

To make this quick . . . I would think a 3/4" line would be more than enough. I've got a 3200 sq/ft house and I think a 3/4" water line (after the sprinklers.) The house is 10 yrs old.
                Mark
                Owner of 1 house (3200 SQ.FT., 4 car garage)
                Owner of 3 rental houses (partner with the bank.)

Comment

Yeah, I checked tonight, it is 3/4" I was looking at my main.

I'm wondering if it makes sense to have a company come out to test my water, or if I should just buy a test kit online... ?

I think, also after some research, that a 'all in one' tank water filter allows for a smaller micron filter to be used without affecting water pressure, whereas if I use an inline filter, the pores have to be bigger to prevent a significant amount of pressure drop. Correct?

Comment

Your water quality report looks pretty good by me...

I guess we can thank the bottled water industry for creating the illusion that tap water isn't safe...

Frankly I'm more concerned about the plastic waste the bottled water industry creates in landfills than the quality of my tap water...

If tap water was that bad why do so many of the bottled water companies use it... Clever advertising creates a helluva profit for them...

As far as "Electronic Water Conditioning"

It's a scam plain and simple...
                    Complete with Sybil Attacks by hordes of new member one post wonders showing up on any forum where a URL to a company selling them is posted complete with a whole bunch of them having a circle jerk agreeing with each other and citing studies buy the bought an paid for professor of the Garbology Department at Obscure University...

Would you like me to put a product up for sale that doesn't work and write my own reviews of it?

Pretty easy to do you know....

Basic physics says you cannot place a charge in a liquid solution for longer than a nanosecond without the charge dissipating....

I learned that in my freshman year of High School in Intro to Physics and Chemistry...

Don't be gullible....
                    I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
                    Now I can Plumb!

For great information on the history of sanitary sewers including the use of Redwood Pipe
                    Visit http://www.sewerhistory.org/
                    Did you know some Redwood Pipe is still in service today.

Comment

Agreed, now UV filters that's a different thing.
                      I'm more concerned with simple filtering of my city water by means of a fairly inexpensive carbon filter.
                      It's just an observation but my Koi fish (fish are extremely sensitive to water quality) are perfectly fine in tap water once the chlorine has been removed.
                      Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
                      Every day is a learning day.

Comment

I also agree that magnetic units are a joke. As are in line filters. I also agree that if you are concerned with chlorine, fluoride or ammonia, instead of carbon, there is a media that removes all three of the above mentioned carcinogenic chemicals. Carbon also removes quite a few other contaminates.

Your city water shouldn't have any of these metals or chemicals other than the ones your government sees fit to feed you.

Comment

chlorine as supplied by the city is necessary for the choliform bacteria in water. some cities add flourine for tooth decay. if you let tap water stand for 24 hrs in an open container, most additives leach out into the air.

Comment

I know perfectly well what chlorine is used for, but have you heard of Chlorimines? That's the addition of ammonia. Have you ever tested city water for chlorine? In some instances it's over 5 PPM. That's way too much of a deadly poison for my water. Especially since the target amount is .02ppm.

Comment

I hafta admit Chemistry was never my favorite. I know the guy that runs the water treatment where I live here in NY. Our water comes from three wells in a common acquifer and he adds chlorine gas automatically weekly with a chemical pump that operates off a Ph metering pump. All of the water comes off a tall mountain to the acquifer so its naturally filtered. I didn't mean to undermine your knowledge of water quality - SLAP, SLAP! right inna face!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              =