Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GE profile fan noise

i have a ge profile pts22scsarss it's a 22 with the freezer on top. it has made a noise from day one which is about 7 years.not often but it happens randomly. when it was under warranty they came and looked,it was quiet. he said there is nothing wrong it is just the way it is, do not block the vents in the freezer well this is hard to do because there is a large tunnel right down the middle of the freezer what a design.anyway i read this post and decided to call ge because it started making the noise again.i mentioned this post and the circuit board, she checked my serial number and said there is no history of problems with this refrig.i said there are alot of refrigs. out there with this noise traced to the board she said they could sell me the board for $96 but i should have a service tech out i explained the noise is intermittent and when he comes it's quiet.my question if the board was bad would the fan make the noise all the time?mine does not. it went years without a noise.is there something else wrong with the fridge.?a friend of mine in the repair business feels water freezes on the evap. blade throws it off balance and that causes the noise.does this sould possible?
    any help would be appreciated. there are times that noise could drive you crazy.

it has made a noise from day one which is about 7 years.
    What kind of noise and from what exact component or area of the appliance?

LINK > My refrigerator is making strange sounds. What is wrong with it?

my question if the board was bad would the fan make the noise all the time?
    Not necessarily.

is there something else wrong with the fridge.?
    That is possible but will depend on an exact description of the problem.

a friend of mine in the repair business feels water freezes on the evap. blade throws it off balance and that causes the noise. does this sould possible?
    That is possible as well... depending on the type of sound and where it is originating from.

JMO

Dan O.
    Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

Last edited by Dan O.; 02-07-2012, 12:00 AM.

Comment

noise

the noise is a loud hum or vibrating sound it comes from inside the freezer the blower housing.there is no rhyme or reason there are times like first thing in the morning we haven't opened it but when it goes on it's there.or it will run all day quietly but then go on and make the noise

Comment

the noise is a loud hum or vibrating sound
        Those are 2 totally different sounds to me. A hum might be caused by the electronic control or a problem in the motor. A vibration might be caused by the situation your friend described. I wouldn't expect the later to be intermittent though. Once the fan was affected in such a way it would most often stay that way until corrected.

JMO

Dan O.
        Appliance411.com
        =D~~~~~~

Comment

noise

it has not happened in a couple of days.actually when it happened last it only happened for one cycle.it's funny it will make the noise while it is running to satisfy the thermostat but once it turns off the next time it comes on it might not make the noise.i will try to record the sound the next time if i had to sound it out it would not be a hummmmmmmmmm it would be aaaaaaaaaa

thanks

Comment

noise

Dan o i have a recording of the noise i cannot post it here its a wav file [music file] it's not recognized by the website can i send it to an email address?

Comment

Originally posted by darylnj

Dan o i have a recording of the noise [LINK]
              If that sound is coming from the area of the freezer fan motor, it may be something is rubbing against the fan. Has anyone inspected that area to see if anything looks out of place?

Dan O.
              www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Last edited by Dan O.; 02-12-2012, 03:16 PM. Reason: added link to recording

Comment

noise

i sent the file with the noise to webmaster411 did you get it? it was inspected in the past but if something was hitting wouldn't it happen all the time?since the noise last Friday it has been fine.i thought about replacing the fan bushings

Comment

i sent the file with the noise to webmaster411 did you get it?
                  Obviously i did since it is linked from my previous reply above.

if something was hitting wouldn't it happen all the time?
                  It would depend on what was hitting it. Frost or ice could come and go.

i thought about replacing the fan bushings
                  There are no bushings that can be replaced. If the motor is defective the whole motor would have to be replaced.

LINK > GE PTS22SCSARSS Freezer Fan Motor

JFYI

Dan O.
                  Appliance411.com
                  =D~~~~~~

Last edited by Dan O.; 02-13-2012, 12:49 PM.

Comment

noise

i do not want to just start replacing parts but the parts breakdown from ge shows evap.fan grommets they are cheap wr02x12008,wr02x11331 this is what i mean

Comment

the parts breakdown from ge shows evap.fan grommets they are cheap wr02x12008, wr02x11331 this is what i mean
                      Those just hold the motor in its mounting. There is no wear and tear on them. It is extremely unlikely they are responsible for any sounds. I suggest you not waste your time with them.

JMO

Dan O.
                      Appliance411.com
                      =D~~~~~~

Comment

noise

now that you heard the noise what do you think
                        today it started to make the noise then the noise stopped

Comment

I already stated:
                          Originally posted by Dan O.

If that sound is coming from the area of the freezer fan motor, it may be something is rubbing against the fan. Has anyone inspected that area to see if anything looks out of place?
                          Is the sound coming from the area of the freezer fan motor?

Has anyone inspected that area to see if anything's amiss?

Dan O.
                          Appliance411.com
                          =D~~~~~~

Comment

noise

yes the noise is coming from the motor in the freezer compartment.it was checked by a ge service man everything is fine.

Comment

[the motor] was checked by a ge service man everything is fine.
                              Recently or just the 7 years ago as you previously reported??

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              =