Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air stem for pre-charge adjustment on Amtrol Extrol 30

I have been hearing a loud gurggling sound in the water system along with some loud banging of what I am guessing are the pipes. I was poking around a little and found a air tank above the boiler with Amtrol Extrol 30 on it. Anyway, not knowing what it was I reached up and pressed the valve release (much like a bike tire) and let some air out. Smelled absolutely horrible by the way. Anyway, I did some research online and now realize I may have messed up the pre-charge of the system, is that correct? The house was built in 1996 and perhaps the tank has been in the system since that time...not sure? I bought the place in 2005. Any ideas what i should do now - buy a new tank, re-pressurize this tank? Why am I hearing sall these new noises in my system?

Thanks

Originally posted by Jsilks View Post
    I have been hearing a loud gurggling sound in the water system along with some loud banging of what I am guessing are the pipes. I was poking around a little and found a air tank above the boiler with Amtrol Extrol 30 on it. Anyway, not knowing what it was I reached up and pressed the valve release (much like a bike tire) and let some air out. Smelled absolutely horrible by the way. Anyway, I did some research online and now realize I may have messed up the pre-charge of the system, is that correct? The house was built in 1996 and perhaps the tank has been in the system since that time...not sure? I bought the place in 2005. Any ideas what i should do now - buy a new tank, re-pressurize this tank? Why am I hearing sall these new noises in my system?

Thanks
    Turn off boiler, turn off valve going to tank, unscrew tank to get water out, pump 12 lbs of air into tank, re install tank, open valve. Run boiler with out burner on so temp goes down to 80 degrees. Now check pressure. This would be the same as a cold start, should be 12 lbs. Do you have bleeders in your radiators in the house? If not i might have to see some pic. of your boiler and piping around the boiler, so we can power flush the air out of the system.
    Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Jsilks View Post

Thanks
      Turn off boiler, turn off valve going to tank, unscrew tank to get water out, pump 12 lbs of air into tank, re install tank, open valve. Run boiler with out burner on so temp goes down to 80 degrees. Now check pressure. This would be the same as a cold start, should be 12 lbs. Do you have bleeders in your radiators in the house? If not i might have to see some pic. of your boiler and piping around the boiler, so we can power flush the air out of the system.
      Paul

Comment

Working...
      X
      =