Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torsion Spring Break

Well, the other night I heard a loud bang shortly after I got home. . . The next morning I noticed the Torsion Spring had broke (I hope that's what the noise was.) I got the old spring off and the Wife called a garage door supply company and they confirmed they do not sell replacements in CA. Gotta have a Pro do it. Cost was $135 (neighbor just had theirs go and I thought they were about $400 for the same replacement.) So, I felt good.

I had a piece on my garage door opener that got broken too. ($32)

The house is 10.5 years old. There was one spring (not two) on this single car garage (the one on the Right. if you look at my pics.)
    Last edited by HayZee518; 02-25-2012, 08:59 PM.
    Mark
    Owner of 1 house (3200 SQ.FT., 4 car garage)
    Owner of 3 rental houses (partner with the bank.)

You know that it does depend on the weight and the size of your neighbors door. Just saying if your neighbor has an older wooden door the spring for that type of door will be money. Because the spring will have to be bigger for this kind of door. That is because to left steel with vinyl installation is much lighter so a smaller spring would work for this kind of doors.

Comment

Thanks for pointing that out. We both have 10 year old homes. Yes, it is surprising how heavy even the thin gauge steel ones are whet the springs break.

Another question for you guys . . . One Torsion Spring or Two?
      Our garages seemed to have been built with one spring but, I understand the cost of two springs to be marginally more expensive, last longer, not require as much pre-load. What would you do for the single cae garage? The two car gagage?
      Mark

Comment

torsion springs

Its doesn't matter if its one spring or two springs in the torsion system it’s all about the weight and size of your garage door,
        The installers have a list with the information of whet size spring to fit to the door based on the weight and size.

Comment

Yea, next time I'm in Nevada I'm going to check to see if the Home Depot there carries them. . .
          Mark

Comment

$400 is A LOT for any single car spring change. Surely they had some other work done. If not, stay away from that company.

$135 is just right for one spring.

Comment

$400 is very high for a single spring changeout... unless they had an after hours call or a wood door that was very heavy...

The local company here charges 185 & 250 for one spring and two spring changeouts. Includes free lube and checkup... very reasonable.

Stamps Garage Door Parts
              Stamps Garage Doors - Illinois

Comment

Consider replacing both

If you have one broken torsion spring, the other one is definitely fatigued! To the point where if you only replace the broken spring and reset the torsion system- the garage door will not be properly balanced! The garage door is still going to be heavy because the other spring is fatigued and not doing its job. Therefore, the opener will be working overtime, or not at all, to open and close the garage door.

Most likely, you will be calling out the service company again in the very near future to replace the OTHER spring when it breaks! This means twice the amount of service calls, time to meet technician, etc.

Most times it will be cheaper to replace two springs at once, rather than one spring on two separate occasions!

Comment

Working...
                X
                =