Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mounting 4' fence post to concrete slab

Trying to find the best way to do this.

Im planning on building a fence around my property which ends on at a walkway where a gate will be place between the fence and my garage.

The concern im having is that if i were to place the gate here, i would need a support post in the concrete to give the gate something to latch to.

What would be the best way to attach a 4' 4x4 post to the concrete slab and still be stable enough to give the gate something to latch to without loosening up too badly or cracking my concrete?

I think the area i would be attaching this to is only a foot away from a joint with the driveway and dont want it to split there as well.

Sorry if any of this is confusing, i will post pics of the area i am referring to tomarrow to help clarify.

a typical cement bolt made by Hilti, called 'thunderstud' would work in this instance. any wedge type anchor will work

Comment

As this is the post that the gate will latch on, there is little that really would work, there are Simpson galvanized brackets that anchors to the concrete then your post sits on it but these are not going to last long with the gate closing on it.
      Really your best option is going to be to cut a hole in the concrete and concrete in a post.
      Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
      Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Would it be plausible to attach the latch to the garage itself and use that?

Or would it be a better idea to reverse it and attach the hinge side of the gate to the garage and use a buried post in the ground as the latch?

trying to stay away from actually cutting into the concrete itself unless i have to.

Comment

By far your better off hinging the gate off the garage the weight of the gate as it opens and closes will put an enormous leverage on the hinge side (post or wall) the wall will be a much much stronger option.
          That said the gate slamming into a latch on a surface mounted post will cause issues with that post sooner rather than later, if you don't want to cut the cement and concrete in a post maybe you can use a hinge set that stops the gate right as it gets to the latch. I have seen a thin block of wood added between the hinge post and gate that stops the gate from closing hard on the latch side.
          Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
          Every day is a learning day.

Comment

i appreciate the help. Im going to be installing the fence here within the next few weeks as soon as i can find some good fencing deals through local suppliers

Comment

Working...
            X
            =