Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Genie Garage Door Opener

I purchased a house almost 9 months ago and the garage door opener is ancient. Its a Genie W-2 and the model number slips me but i can get it if needed. It has the straight bar design and still runs like a champ.

There is no wireless unit attached to this and only 2 push buttons that look like doorbells by each door.

I would like to add a wireless option and a keypad as well.

Is there any way to jerry rig up a wireless system using another wireless unit? by splicing together some wires?

Also, for the key pad, i read somewhere that you can tap into the push button wires rather than running it to the main opener. Anyone know how this works exactly?

Will probably replace the whole unit when it dies and i'd imagine that could be 6 months or it could last 10 years. Looking for a solution that would get the job done safely and efficiently without dumping alot of money into it.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance

if the unit was made without a wireless option, I'm sure you could find something, but you won't have a gaurantee it will work until the unit dies. you don't want to spend the money for a new unit now, but you may have to in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Tcanuth View Post

Will probably replace the whole unit when it dies
      That sounds good. . .
      Last edited by HayZee518; 03-16-2012, 09:22 PM.
      Mark
      Owner of 1 house (3200 SQ.FT., 4 car garage)
      Owner of 3 rental houses (partner with the bank.)

Comment

Remote control

Yes, you can purchase wireless unit and it's come with 2 remotes and a keypad.
        Very easy to install
        Last edited by HayZee518; 03-16-2012, 09:22 PM.

Comment

For less than $250 you can buy a new garage door opener system with remotes and safety sensors, is it really worth the frustration and problems trying to jerry rig even if it could be done ?
          Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
          Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Im a bit low on cash so i would prefer a cheaper option for the time being so replacing is a bit out of my reach. Planning on replacing it within the next year or 2 without having to take out a line of credit on it unless i absolutely have to.

What unit do you have in mind garagepro?

I took a few pics to hopefully help shed some light on the situation. I guess i didn't get a pic of the model number like i thought so i will repost that one when i get a chance to take a pic of that. Heres what i have so far...

First is of the whole unit itself, second is the manufacturers label, third is of the inputs on the bottom of the unit.

Sorry for quality, took these real quick with my phone on heavy zoom in minimal light. had to lighten them up a bit.

Comment

Found openers at HD starting at 129.

As for receivers I have attached a link that is what you are looking for under $20, you just need an outlet and connect the wires from your existing button to the new receiver.

18R | Garage Door Receiver | Home Security Store

you will probably have to buy the transmitter/s as well. There is also the ability to attach it directly to the motor but you will need to contact customer support.
              All the information for connections is on the product manual.

Hope this helps ya !
              Last edited by pushkins; 03-17-2012, 07:33 PM.

Comment

reference the 18KR wireless entry...the one with the keypad as well as the receiver and the 18T skylink key chain.

So if i were to purchase this unit as well as the remote, i should be able to wirelessly control my garage door and use a keypad as well?

Sounds like its a pretty easy set up as well after flipping through the manual.

Sorry, cant post links til i hit 15 posts

Comment

Yes you got it, the two wires from your existing button opener will be removed from the button and attached to the new receiver, this receiver is then plugged into an outlet, when you push the transmitter button the receiver will turn on and open/close the door.

Looks like for around $50 / door your going to be wireless.

Comment

Im a bit low on cash so i would prefer a cheaper option for the time being so replacing is a bit out of my reach. Planning on replacing it within the next year or 2 without having to take out a line of credit on it unless i absolutely have to.

What unit do you have in mind garagepro?

I took a few pics to hopefully help shed some light on the situation. I guess i didn't get a pic of the model number like i thought so i will repost that one when i get a chance to take a pic of that. Heres what i have so far...

First is of the whole unit itself, second is the manufacturers label, third is of the inputs on the bottom of the unit.

Sorry for quality, took these real quick with my phone on heavy zoom in minimal light. had to lighten them up a bit.
                    Ok, I literally created an account to this website just to tell you this. That is quite possibly the oldest garage door opener I have ever seen installed in my life. I'd say it's probably from the 1950s or so. You have got to make a video of that in action. I'm surprised it still works!

Also basically any garage door receiver kit you buy should work with it.

Comment

Here's a YouTube link. the things a beast and still runs like a champ.

Old Genie Garage Door Opener - YouTube

Comment

Here's a YouTube link. the things a beast and still runs like a champ.
                        Wow dude, that thing is AMAZING. Very cool. Thank you so very very much for uploading it. It's super cool.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        =