Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are all springs the same?

I need to replace my torsion springs. Is it OK to just go with the cheapest price, all else being equal? It's not like buying auto parts where the retailer tells you who is the parts manufacturer and some manufacturers have a high-quality reputation and therefore deserve a higher price. When shopping for torsion springs it's just sizes and numbers and it seems like everything is generic, like buying plumbing pipes.
    Last edited by norlando; 03-19-2012, 05:03 PM.

With all do respect, I hope you have done this before. Most retailers will not sell torsion springs to homeowners. These are very dangerous, even for the pro's.

But, yes, all springs are basically the same. There isn't really one manufacturer that is better than the other.

Your basic torsion spring is designed to last 10,000 cycles.

You can upgrade springs to 25k, 50k and even 100k cycles.

Comment

Thanks for the info and for the cautionary warning.

I've done the dangerous parts (winding and unwinding the springs) of the job before, several times. I have never removed the springs but I found several good websites about it. It looks like a basic disassemble/reassemble operation, taking care of the cabling and the leveling, and finally winding the new springs to counterbalance the weight of the door.

Comment

Coil springs....

HECK NO! Those coils springs are all different! I had one installed on the barn door. It was a ten x ten roll up. The guy wanted an EXACT weight of all the door panels. Then weighted all the hardware, including the cable! He asked about how many times a day it would be cycled, about how many days a week, then inquired as to how many years I expect to be operating this area. These were just some of the questions that were on the computer program that door installers use. It then calculates the wire diameter, coil diameter, coil length, material used and how many windings the coil is to be preloaded. Even the pulleys were different and are based on door height. I was educated that day! I had no idea it was that involved.

Comment

Originally posted by mrcaptainbob View Post
          It then calculates the wire diameter, coil diameter, coil length, material used and how many windings the coil is to be preloaded.
          Right. But after the computer program calculates those specifications and dimensions, does it matter which company to buy the spring from? If the specs are the same, everything identical from both "Company A" and "Company Z" is it OK to just pick the cheapest or quickest delivery or whatever criterion is important to me? That was the question. According to A.Powell, the answer is, all companies' product is basically the same.

Comment

its like anything else. "let the buyer beware" or "you get what you pay for" check different sources. the professionals in the forum will give you their opinion. the bottom line choice is yours.

Comment

You have to get the correct springs. They are calibrated by door weight, height, width and track type.

OR

Measure your existing springs and get the correct measurements so you can buy an identical spring online or in a store.

HOW TO MEASURE TORSION SPRINGS

Stamps Garage Door Parts
              Stamps Garage Doors - Illinois

Comment

There all made of metal.

Comment

Working...
                X
                =