Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genie Garqge Door Doesn't Close Completely

I have a Genie Intelicode which is about 10 yrs old. Lately when closing the door it stops about 18inches from the bottom. I have checked the sensors on the bottom, disconnected the door and it slides freely and have increased the down force on the garage door all the way. If I close it and then quickly hit the button and reverse it and then close it, it seems to pick up a little speed and will fully close.

Originally posted by TomTom View Post
    I have checked the sensors on the bottom
    I believe there is a sensor on the top rail that tells the opener when to go/stop???

Could yours have moved?
    Could something else be there causing the pick-up to activate?
    Mark
    Owner of 1 house (3200 SQ.FT., 4 car garage)
    Owner of 3 rental houses (partner with the bank.)

Comment

thank you for replying. there is a switch that stops.the door.when retracing
      my door is not closing all.the way. Should there be another switch that maybe i.didn't see? It stops.approximately 8 inches short from measuring om the rail
      Again, do.not see any rail damage and the track is greased

Comment

the rails should NOT have grease on them. They should be clean. Grease picks up dirt and gunk. At each door pivot is a ball bearing roller. this should be the only thing that gets grease other than the lead screw [if you have one] if your carriage slides along a T bar, then a light coating of grease is ok.

Comment

A site I just found that has parts & names of what is what. . .
          Garage door parts, hardware, garage door springs, replacement overhead door parts
          Mark
          Owner of 1 house (3200 SQ.FT., 4 car garage)
          Owner of 3 rental houses (partner with the bank.)

Comment

When I said greased, I meant lubricated. Like I said this door is 10 years old and retracts without issue. Closing is another story. It just seems that it reaches a certian point on the track while closing and stops
            If I quickly reverse the door and press to close it seems to bounce a little and gathers enough force to close completly.

Comment

how easily can you manually open or close the door? does it require a lot of man power to open or close it fully? may be a counter balance spring issue. it should go up or down easily. if the opener is seeing any force to close it, then the current sensor relay is seeing an {obstruction} and tends to reverse the door motion. the opener has a blocked door sensor, a downward travel limit and an upward travel limit {switches}

Comment

I've disconnected the door from the motor and it slides up and down with ease. If I press the garage buton on the wall, it closes and moves freely. It just gets to about 18' off the ground and stops. If I quickly press the button to reverse and push again it will fully close. I hope this explains the problem I'm having.

Thanks

Comment

in that case it sounds like a "force" issue. the motor is seeing too much current to fully close the door and, so, reverses. the inboard and outboard limits stop the door's motion at its extreme travels. if you can see what the current rating is for the motor relay. find an amprobe and measure the current when the door travels downward. when the value meets or exceeds the current sense relay, it will reverse. might have to go with a higher current rated relay. check the opener manufacturer specs.

Comment

Originally posted by TomTom View Post
                    I have checked the sensors on the bottom, disconnected the door and it slides freely and have increased the down force on the garage door all the way.
                    How are the sensors attached? To the wood header frame/wall or to the metal track bracket? Is it nice and solid, or is it maybe flimsy/shaky? Have you closely observed the sensors while the door is closing? Maybe there is some vibration causing the optical sensors to misalign and it happens exactly when the door approaches that 18-inch point?

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    =