Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whirlpool dishwasher not draining

I have a whirlpool dishwasher model DU8900XT-3 that is not draining. IT is about 20 years old and I would love to get a few more out of it. The motor seems to run fine during the regular wash cycle, but I do not hear it when it should be draining. It does not have an air gap so that is out. I would image the motor would still run if it was the check valve or clogged line. The timer seems to run normally through all of the cycles. If it was a stuck solenoid. I would image the motor would try to run. I have tried it 3 times and it does not pump out any time so it is not an intermintent problem. From the diagrams I have seen it does not appear to have a separate drain motor. My only guess would be to take the timer out and spray it out and see if that helps. Does anyone else have any ideas for me?

Thanks,

George

The motor seems to run fine during the regular wash cycle, but I do not hear it when it should be draining
    That could either be caused by a problem in the timer or the separate motor winding responsile for the reversing of the main motor for drain.

Is the motor making any sounds at all during drain?

The same motor start winding is used for both wash and drain. If just the reverse run motor winding was the problem I would still expect the motor to hum during drain, just not actually getting going. If the motor runs at all, the start winding is OK.

My only guess would be to take the timer out and spray it out and see if that helps.
    I don't know what you mean by "spray it out". I doubt spraying it with contact cleaner would help (although it shouldn't hurt) and spraying it with WD40 or anything else should NOT be done.

If the timer is responsible it would likely either have to be replaced or sent away to be professionally reconditioned... which may be your only option since a newer timer doesn't look to be available any longer.

JMO

Dan O.
    Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

response

Thanks for trying to help me out. I do not hear ANY sound from the motor during the drain period. I was thinking of spraying the timer out with air and/or contact cleaner figuring it could not hurt. Do you happen to have any other ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by georger
        I was thinking of spraying the timer out with air and/or contact cleaner figuring it could not hurt.
        It shouldn't hurt but any problem a timer is likely to suffer is unlikely to be helped by such service.

Do you happen to have any other ideas?
        I'm afraid not other than the motor is unlikely to be the problem IMO.

Dan O.
        Appliance411.com
        The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
        X
        =