Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Submersible pump wiring....

Thanks {vb:rawphrase post_thanks_given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

Sump pump....

Yeah, this pump is old. According to the id plate, it is a 1/2hp unit. And the way it's wired led me to think it was a 240 unit, too. But that id plate that states it being a 1/2hp, 120v, 7A, 60 cycle unit may not be telling the whole truth then. Is it normal for those colors (red, yellow and pale blue) to be used in a 220 motor?

Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    470 Posts

pump wiring

I went looking into european color codes for wires and motors.

brown or red is hot at 230 volt
    blue is neutral
    yellow/green tracer is earth ground

old 50 hz motor - red is hot @230 volts, blue is neutral.
    europe has 230 volts on one terminal and a grounded earth neutral.

if you were to wire this to a u.s. circuit, then one wire [brown or red] goes to one side of a 240 breaker and the blue would go to the other side of the breaker. the yellow/with green tracer is earth ground.

take a picture of the orange nameplate please

Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

Sump pump wiring....

Here's a pic of the detail plate:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I would reconnect the red wire then ohm between each of the wires this would tell us more about what is going on in the motor. With a 115 pump you should get one ohm reading that is low and another that is double the first the one that is double the first would be a start winding the other would be the run winding.

You could also apply 110 v to white and black and see if it starts.
    Then try 110 v to white and red and see if it starts.

Red could be a alarm wire to detect a seal failure but That would be a pannel wired pump.

Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

Pump wiring....

We did apply 120 to the black and the white to neutral. It did not start. Or even hum. Will check the continuity of the actual wires in the pump tomorrow....

Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    470 Posts

pump

if you were to take apart the pump, replace the oil with moisture free oil, like the mineral oil used in air conditioners. any kind will do as long as there's no water vapor in it. its function beside lubrication is to draw off heat and pass it to the surrounding effluent water. when you get the housing off you'll see how the wires are connected inside the motor winding.

Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

CH&E pumps is still in business

Why not just e-mail the info you have to their sales agents in Canada, and ask them to get someone to e-mail you the wiring diagram for the pump. That would be a lot safer than guessing how to connect the wiring.

Google CH&E Pumps and you'll find them.

Also, you should be aware that at least one of the major plumbing wholesalers in your area will have a pump shop where employees will repair and rebuild submersible and circulating pumps for anyone who has an account with that wholesaler, and pretty well for anyone who doesn't have an account, but will pay cash to have the repair done. I'd just phone around to some of the larger plumbing companies in your area to find out which of your local plumbing wholesalers has a pump repair shop and take it down there to have them look at it to tell you if it can be fixed and how much that would cost. If you bring it to them, and they just take it apart to see what condition it's in, they won't charge you anything for the look see.
    Last edited by Nestor; 04-19-2012 at 09:58 PM.

Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

Pump wiring....

Good call, Nestor. I did send an e-mail to CH & E, but since I received no reply after a two weeks I thought maybe I could get better help here. Which I have. I'll keep plugging away on this and will find out what's going on. I did check for continuity on those pump wires. There is no continuity from the red to anything. My question on that is: not knowing how a 240 motor is wired, if I move the armature a bit would there then be continuity from red to neutral? And zero from black to neutral? Does the voltage swap on the commutator plates?

Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    470 Posts

pump

moving the armature wouldn't have any effect because there is no brushes inside. it's a regular induction motor. you'd have to physically see where the wires are connected and then you can get an idea of how its wired.

Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

Pump wiring....

Thanks, HayZee. Will proceed....

Thread Information