Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repair Old Triple Track Storms

Please help. A recent nasty windstorm sent a large tree limb crashing into the side of my home, taking with it one old triple track storm window, one triple track storm screen and the interior wooden window. I cannot afford to have someone repair the storms (at $25 for each unit), and haven't been able to come up with the correct size at curbside hunts or in local salvage shops. In each case the metal frames were bent only slightly and I'm virtually certain I can hammer them back into shape. However, the frames separated in some of the corners, and I'm having trouble repairing those areas. The metal "keys" inside the tracks at the corners holding the frames together cracked, but I can't budge them to get them out. The fellow who was going to charge me $50 indicated these pieces have to be drilled out at the tiny crimp indents that hold them in place. I haven't tried that yet, but even if that is the way to get them out I'm not certain I can get replacements. There seem to be a million varieties sold online, and only in packs. With shipping costs added to that price, I might as well pay the local guy. Also, I picked up some curbside storms the other day and intend to try hacking away at those to get at the keys. If that doesn't work, I'm thinking about trying to leave the broken keys in place and solder the corners. These storms have never been opened in the 20+ years I've owned the home, so the "fix" doesn't need to be strong enough to withstand constant raising and lowering. But with solder, even if it does work on the storm screen, I'm afraid of cracking the glass in the storm window with the heat of the hot lead. Does anyone have any advice for me at this time? I would sure appreciate some guidance. Thank you.

storms

I'm afraid you won't be able to solder them as the keys are aluminum. any keys you might salvage you can use pop rivets to hold them in.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =