Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loud AC unit

Anyone have any idea why my AC unit sounds like this? It hasn't always been this way:

youtu.be/Zv8Zlqucm_4

thanks for any info.

air conditioner

that sound is normal. the buzzing is the internal valves opening and closing as the gas is compressed.

Comment

is it still cooling ? that definately is not normal, it sounds like you are about to experience a mechanical breakdown.
      i would have someone local look at it.
      Last edited by dfitz3390; 05-07-2012, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dfitz3390 View Post
        is it still cooling ? that definately is not normal, it sounds like you are about to experience a mechanical breakdown.
        i would have someone local look at it.
        Thanks for the response. It is still cooling! Had an AC guy check it out yesterday. He said everything looked good. I don't want to spend any money that I don't need to, but it's seems way too loud!?!!

Comment

Originally posted by vasqd View Post
          Anyone have any idea why my AC unit sounds like this? It hasn't always been this way:

youtu.be/Zv8Zlqucm_4

thanks for any info.
          Does this unit use R22 Or 410 gas?
          Did they amp. check the unit?
          Has the unit loss gas and had to be recharged lately?
          It sounds like the comp. is going bad. Paul

Comment

Originally posted by paul52446m View Post
            Does this unit use R22 Or 410 gas?
            Did they amp. check the unit?
            Has the unit loss gas and had to be recharged lately?
            It sounds like the comp. is going bad. Paul
            It's Puron.

14.2 amps before they added A/C renew!?!?! reads 13.3 after < --- don't know what that means.

Last checked in 1/2012 and no recharge needed at that time.

I was hoping maybe a bent blade?!?! or something that would be simple to repair.

Thanks again for your time.

Comment

It's Puron. d

14.2 amps before they added A/C renew!?!?! reads 13.3 after < --- don't know what that means.

Last checked in 1/2012 and no recharge needed at that time.

I was hoping maybe a bent blade?!?! or something that would be simple to repair.

Thanks again for your time.
              It sounds like the comp. noise. Check the rubber mounts that the comp. is bolted down with. They are a special rubber mount so the comp. doe's not hit any other metal.
              If you want to check the comp. and fan, on hook on hot wire going to the fan and run the comp. and see how it sounds But don't run it for more than a min. that way.
              Amps. will go up and down with temp. and pressure changes. Paul

Comment

are you saying that the tech added refrigerant ?
                did they say how much they added ?

Comment

To me it sounds like the compressor is straining against high head pressure.

Head pressure generally results from insufficient air flow through the condensing coil, thus increasing the condensing pressure/temperature.

From the video it appears that the fan may not be turning at its full rated RPM, which would result in reduced air flow through the condenser, however

The most common cause of reduced air flow is a dirty condensing coil, and regardless of what other problems they may find in the unit, any AC or refrigeration unit cannot be properly charged unless the coils are clean.

Fortunately your unit does not have sheet metal shrouding over the coils so cleaning the coils is relatively easy, and in this case it can be done as a DIY project.

In the trade they use a concentrated foaming coil cleaner that comes in a gallon jug, but even though the gallon is relatively cheap, I doubt a homeowner would ever use that much because you put 4 to 6oz in a gallon of water to make a working solution. That is mixed in a small hand tank sprayer.

If you go to an HVAC supply house you can buy aerosol cans of premixed "Coil Cleaner" and I would expect it would take about two cans to do a coil as large as yours.

You begin by turning the unit off, then pull the electrical service disconnect, which should be in the box on the wall of the house where your electrical cable attaches to the house.

Thoroughly shake the cleaner, then spray the liquid into the coil. The liquid should spray out in a solid stream and you begin near the botttom of the coil and work upwards spraying the liquid directly into the coil until the coil is saturated. The cleaner will begin foaming up like shaving cream. As that foam pushes out of the coils it pushes the accumulated dust, grass clipping and dirt that is trapped in the coil. Let is sit and allow that foam to work for 30min to an hour. You will then see the foam breaking down and you are ready to begin rinsing with a garden hose. You can rinse from the outside, but it is better if you can remove the cover over the top and reach inside and rinse from the inside out.

CAUTION, MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE THE SERVICE DISCONNECT IS REMOVED OR LOCKED OFF BEFORE REACHING INSIDE THE FAN ENCLOSURE!

After you have thoroughly rinsed the coil, replace the cover over the fan, then replace the service disconnect and turn the unit on.

If cleaning the coils did not resolve the problem then you need to have someone check the fan motor and fan blade alignments, however the good news is, you are not out any money for cleaning the coils because they should be cleaned at least once every year, and the coils must be clean before they can perform any proper diagnostics.

Comment

THANKS PAUL!!!!

I checked the bolts themselves and 3 were loose!!! I tightened two up, third seems to be stripped. Do these have a special name? I was unable to remove it so I left it in loose. AC is now nice and quite!

Thanks again!!!

Originally posted by paul52446m View Post
                    It sounds like the comp. noise. Check the rubber mounts that the comp. is bolted down with. They are a special rubber mount so the comp. doe's not hit any other metal.
                    If you want to check the comp. and fan, on hook on hot wire going to the fan and run the comp. and see how it sounds But don't run it for more than a min. that way.
                    Amps. will go up and down with temp. and pressure changes. Paul

Comment

you might want to get your money back from the AC tech

Comment

I've already called them.

You guys should have a Paypal setup so we can pay those who help resolve issues.

Originally posted by dfitz3390 View Post
                        you might want to get your money back from the AC tech

Comment

THANKS PAUL!!!!

I checked the bolts themselves and 3 were loose!!! I tightened two up, third seems to be stripped. Do these have a special name? I was unable to remove it so I left it in loose. AC is now nice and quite!

Thanks again!!!
                          When i change out a compressor i order new ones in and change them. They are Compressor mounts. Paul

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          =