Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glass shower leaking, mold on wall, can't determine where the leak is

I have a framed glass shower, the type with a metal channel along the bottom that has weep holes for water that falls down the glass to escape back into the shower floor. Both sides of the glass have a channel along the metal frame, that has been covered with a rubber strip that has become brittle and needs replacing. Just outside the shower, mold has formed on the wall, in a patch about 4 inches round, and growing slowly. It has been wet to the touch.

I have also noticed that on the outside of the metal frame, water has begun collecting, I assume the seal between the inside and outside has broken - I don't think the outside of the channel should be wet. Even though water should not be getting through I still can't quite connect this with the mold. I realize water is getting though into the walls but I just can't figure out exactly how.

I am tempted to run a bead of silicone caulk down in the inside of the channel, but not at all comfortable that's either wise or sufficient to fix the problem.

Now that I have had all this exposed (by removing the rubber strips) and let it dry for a few days, the moldy patch on the wall is now dry.

We also have high mineral content which has caused quite a buildup, I am working on it with CLR and it seems to be helping. No idea if this is related to the leak issue.

Questions:

1) Is the metal frame just resting on the tile or is it screwed in ? If so, then could water be getting through the screw holes ? If so, what the heck would I do about that ?

2) Do I run the danger of clogging the weep holes if I caulk inside the channel ? It appears I could caulk down in the crevice between the glass and the channel without building it up high enough to meet the weep holes. It might be tricky but doable.

3) Am I going about this the right way or do I need a different approach ?

Overall shot:

Click image for larger version

Name:	OverallShot.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	87586

Close up of outside channel with rubber strip removed, see small patch of mold on wall:

Name:	CloseUpOfMold.jpg
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	87582

Close up of other side of shower wall, rubber strip removed.

Name:	InsideOfChannel.jpg
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	87585

Suspicious grout discoloration inside shower door:

Name:	DiscoloredGroutOnInside.jpg
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	87583

More grout discoloration on outside of door:

Name:	DiscoloredGroutOnOutside.jpg
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	87584

Most often with shower doors like your it's the rubber glass strips that deteriorate allowing water to drop down the glass into the aluminum frame, this frame is not water proof and will allow water to leak out, so the rubber gaskets should be replaced if you see any deterioration they are available at most glass supply businesses. You will need to either take your existing gasket or glass and frame measurements to make sure you get the right size gasket. The bottom gasket is the most important as water falls down the glass but the sides are important to keep an eye on as well.
    There should be a continuous bead of caulk all the way around the INSIDE of the frame wall channels and floor channels, any break in this caulk will cause leaks and is especially common in corners.
    The bottom channel should never be screwed into the curb (raised section).
    Also check the curb for cracked grout, this will allow moisture to wick through under the frame.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Originally posted by pushkins View Post
      Most often with shower doors like your it's the rubber glass strips that deteriorate allowing water to drop down the glass into the aluminum frame, this frame is not water proof and will allow water to leak out, so the rubber gaskets should be replaced if you see any deterioration they are available at most glass supply businesses. You will need to either take your existing gasket or glass and frame measurements to make sure you get the right size gasket. The bottom gasket is the most important as water falls down the glass but the sides are important to keep an eye on as well.
      There should be a continuous bead of caulk all the way around the INSIDE of the frame wall channels and floor channels, any break in this caulk will cause leaks and is especially common in corners.
      The bottom channel should never be screwed into the curb (raised section).
      Also check the curb for cracked grout, this will allow moisture to wick through under the frame.
      Thanks much, exactly what I was looking for. The sides APPEAR to be intact, though I did peel them back a few inches from the bottom to get a better look at things, and there is a bit of gunk under them. Would you advise replacing ALL the gaskets just to be sure ?

Would Home Depot or Lowes have this ?

Are you saying that normally those rubber gaskets should be creating a water tight seal by themselves ? Or in conjunction with a bead of caulk down inside the channel ?

I do see possible hairline cracks in the grout where it meets the tile, I guess that's from shrinkage (?) That would certainly explain the stained grout I show in the pics.

Also, how long should a caulk job last ? It seems I only get about 6 - 8 months out of it and it starts shrinking and losing its grip on the tile and gotta do it all over. I am using silicone caulk and do clean the devil out of the surfaces first.

Again, MUCH appreciated!
      Last edited by scotthw; 05-09-2012, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =