Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Satellite install. Help.

Hi,

I am a first time home owner and I believe I put myself in a bit of a pickle. I had Dish Network come and install a satellite dish on my roof 2 days ago. I should have done more research on how bad satellite dishes are for the roof, but I failed to do so. I took a look at how the tech installed the dish and it looks pretty bad.

Here is a picture from within my attic. I don't have any pictures on the outside as I do not own a large ladder yet but I'll be getting one soon.

Click image for larger version

Name:	555.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	87600

It looks so terrible. I'm going to call them and mount the dish some where else (not on the roof). I fear water leakage. I'm fairly good at DIYs. Could anyone offer me and preventative fixes?

dish

as long as you have a clear access to the south western sky [no trees in the way] an on the wall mount is preferable to the roof although if the tech used prudent measures [ sealing around the mount] it shouldn't be a problem. have you seen water dripping off the screws during a driving rainstorm?

Comment

I've only had the dish for 2 or 3 days. It has been raining lightly. I've just been scaring myself by reading horror storys online about water leaks and causing major rot. I'm really just looking for precautions to prevent anything like that from happening. Until I get the ladder and inspect the installation up top I don't really know if the tech installed it properly. (Using sealant or somthing of the sort.)

Comment

I would have them come out and remove it from the roof and put it on the side of the house. I would also try to get them to repair the roof. If they don't do it right, I'm sure you will have problems down the road.

Sometimes I wonder if Dish or any of the others know what their installers are doing.

Comment

Bad Satellite Install

I lived in a Strata complex once and the bylaw for installing Satellite dishes was...on the side of the home or roof....or if that was not feasible and had to be on the roof ..it could not be installed up the roof past the soffit underneath..so any leaks did not get into the home

Comment

Working...
          X
          =