Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deck railing posts: through the deck or bolted on?

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deck railing posts: through the deck or bolted on?

A co-worker saw my drawing of what I'm planning to build (wooden front porch - old concrete one finally became unsafe) and he insists that I should build the new porch with the posts through the deck to serve as the railing posts, because having the bottom of the railing post set in concrete would be "so much better!" When I built my deck in the backyard I bolted the railing posts on and they're quite sturdy, not to mention easier to build than cutting decking around a through-post.

So, what do you think? Bolt them on, or bring them up through?
    Bill in Kansas City, MO

Measure with a micrometer
    Mark with a crayon
    Cut with an axe.

Unfortunately there really is no debate your friend is correct, the correct method for all deck posts is to be through the deck mounted, either set in concrete as a post or you can drop them through the deck and bolt them to the deck bearers. Simpson make a specific galvanized bracket for this option (DTT2Z), I've used it many many times, not only does it work extremely well it meets all applicable codes.
    Attaching a decking post on top of the deck does not meet any codes or safety standards.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Originally posted by pushkins View Post
      Unfortunately there really is no debate your friend is correct, the correct method for all deck posts is to be through the deck mounted, either set in concrete as a post or you can drop them through the deck and bolt them to the deck bearers. Simpson make a specific galvanized bracket for this option (DTT2Z), I've used it many many times, not only does it work extremely well it meets all applicable codes.
      Attaching a decking post on top of the deck does not meet any codes or safety standards.
      Thanks for the reply! Just so I'm clear, the rail post is bolted on not on top, but through the outside joist, like so:

I've seen this method used many times - in fact, I picked it up from looking at a neighbor's deck while I was building mine in '05, and the bracket illustrations on the Simpson website show it (using the bracket, of course.)
      Bill in Kansas City, MO

Mark with a crayon
      Cut with an axe.

Comment

Ahhhhh the penny drops , your drawing and method is correct and one of the only two methods that should be used for deck post attachment. so you and your friend are both correct, his method requires more work with blocking around the post to attach the decking planks to and all the cutting of the decking to fit around the post, IMO it is a much stronger attachment than your method (as drawn with just bolts) as it usually sits tight against a joist and band board so you have a two way attachment, it also looks nice, the downside is you do lose some deck size with the posts being in.
        Your method in some jurisdictions is only allowed when used in conjunction with the Simpson post ties especially on upper level decks.
        Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
        Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Originally posted by pushkins View Post
          Ahhhhh the penny drops , your drawing and method is correct and one of the only two methods that should be used for deck post attachment. so you and your friend are both correct, his method requires more work with blocking around the post to attach the decking planks to and all the cutting of the decking to fit around the post, IMO it is a much stronger attachment than your method (as drawn with just bolts) as it usually sits tight against a joist and band board so you have a two way attachment, it also looks nice, the downside is you do lose some deck size with the posts being in.
          Your method in some jurisdictions is only allowed when used in conjunction with the Simpson post ties especially on upper level decks.
          I'll check with the city, see what they have to say about the post ties, although I don't think they're required.

Thanks for taking the time!
          Bill in Kansas City, MO

Mark with a crayon
          Cut with an axe.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =