Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any hope for my Genie 850 garage door opener?

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any hope for my Genie 850 garage door opener?

This Genie model 850 screw-drive garage door opener is about 42 years old; has worked fine until a year or so ago when it started just buzzing instead of moving the door. I put in a new starting capacitor, and it worked OK until now. This time I again put in a new starting capacitor and tested it - it worked a few times, but reverted to just buzzing rather than turning the motor.

Is there anything else I could try to revive this opener, or is it just time for a new one.

Grateful for any suggestions.

Bob

Just to keep it short.
    Yes, it's time for a new opener. Best for all. Safety, Security, you and your family.

Comment

Did you disconnect the door from the opener and test it by hand? Broken spring(s) could make the door too heavy for the motor to lift.

Comment

Originally posted by oldtrlrnr View Post
        This Genie model 850 screw-drive garage door opener is about 42 years old; has worked fine until a year or so ago when it started just buzzing instead of moving the door. I put in a new starting capacitor, and it worked OK until now. This time I again put in a new starting capacitor and tested it - it worked a few times, but reverted to just buzzing rather than turning the motor.

Is there anything else I could try to revive this opener, or is it just time for a new one.

Grateful for any suggestions.

Bob
        Check the trolley to see if if the threads are stripped. A 42 year old motor should likely be retired. Others are right, its really not safe (pre photo eyes). There are some great deals online and these are easy to install.

Stamps Garage Door Parts

Comment

Working...
        X
        =