Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fixing holes in asphalt driveways, I found how to do it better.

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixing holes in asphalt driveways, I found how to do it better.

I have a lot of small to medium divots from parking motorcycles or jacking cars on hot days ect. They finally got to the point where they really needed some attention so I got a pail of cold patch. I read the directions and figured this can never work right just tossing it in after cleaning and pressing it down, no way. So I got to thinking how the pros do it and got the propane torch out. First I got it nice and hot then filled the divot with a heaping glob of tar turds. Next I got the tar hot enough to begin to melt a bit and put an old 7" putty knife across it and started tapping lightly with a 3 lb hammer.. After packing it a bit I took the hammer and started hitting it lightly without the putty knife.keeping it nice and hot with the torch. Tap and pack until it is completely full and in the end it will look almost exactly like the surrounding asphalt. About the only issue is if you begin tapping it too soon with the hammer some of the tar can stick to the hammer and pull up,. I just tapped down and gave the hammer a quarter turn before pulling it back a few times until it was set and problem solved. What I can't figure is why they don;'t tell you that on the directions.

Thanks for sharing that Driz.

The reason why they don't tell you that on the directions is because the company that makes the product realizes that there are multiple ways to fix a variety of problems using their product. The problems is that they haven't tested all those different ways and therefore don't want to be on the hook for giving directions that don't work under certain circumstances. So, they give directions on how to use their product for the purpose they figure most people will be buying their product; to fix a big honking hole in their asphalt driveway.

The company realizes that there are other ways to use their product, but it's not advisable for them to recommend anything because if they're wrong, or the way they recommend causes problems, they could wind up in court. So, they limit the amount they say to a minimum and hide behind the "We don't recommend that." defense for anything anyone else does with their product in order to effect a repair.

I'm sure your way of fixing small indents in asphalt works well. But, the company that makes the product wants to minimize the amount of directions they give to minimize their liability, and you can understand that.
    Last edited by Nestor; 06-17-2012, 02:46 PM.

Comment

driveway

there is a commercially available product that is a cold patch for floors in industry. you trowel it on and run over it with a forklift a few times. it solidifies right away for a permanent patch. kerosene on the surface of your tamping tool will release any stuck product of tar based product.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =