Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genie garage door problems!

Here is a history of what has been going on:

- started with garage door only partially going up and then stopping.. Or not at all. There was no rhyme or reason to when it would work or when it would go up just enough for us to squeeze under.

- we started over riding by holding down the button at the wall panel so that we could get it to go all the way up. This worked for awhile but then we noticed even holding down the button at wall would sometimes make it act choppy. Only going up a few Inches at a time.

- I replaced the sensors first assuming that's where the issue was. that did not fix it. One lights green one lights solid red which I have learned is normal. If I block the red one with my hand it flashes red as it should.

- I have visibly checked the wires and connections everything appears to be connected tight and normal

- this morning I read on some website to look at the "learn button" by the motor and see if the light is flashing. The light wasn't on at all. I pushed the button.. It flashes about 60 times or so and then goes off again. Assuming that is normal? After doing that I tried the to open the garage and low and behold it is opening better than it has in works. It went up and down normally about 5 times. After the 5th time it went up about 90% of the way and then back down normal. So working better yes but not totally perfect.

What does pressing the learn button have anything to do with this problem? Is there anything else I can do to try and come up with how to fix this totally? Who knows of it is going to continue to somewhat cooperate with me.. Could be short lived.

Any suggestions will be appreciated!

Here are the troubleshooting steps you should take:

1) Lube all the metal parts down with a lite lubricant spray. Rollers, hinges etc

2) Pull the red release cord with the door in the down position. Pull the door up to your waist level by hand and let it go. It should stay in position. If it moves up or down a lot you have a problem with spring tension.

3) Open the cover of your motor. There should be a nylon gear inside. Make sure that white gear is not stripped (shavings inside).

4) Adjust forces and limits on your machine. You should see a dial/screw on the back of the motor. It is usually circular and should be turned clockwise to increase the force/limits. Increase this force/limits by turning it to the right in SMALL increments - testing each time.

5) If you find no solution from the above you may just have a bad circuit board. If you had a lightning strike near bye your circuit board may be shorting.

What type of motor do you have? What year? Brand? details needed

Stamps Garage Door Parts
    Last edited by stampdoorparts; 06-20-2012, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =