Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garage door opener question

I just moved into this house and the garage door opener is not working.
    It's a Chamberlaine 2245. I don't know how old it is and I don't know if it ever worked.
    The power to it is good but there are no LED's lit up and it doesn't make any noises.
    Given that garage door openers are relatively cheap, is it worth getting someone out to diagnose it or should I just get a new one?

Or is there anything I can try to diagnose it myself? I know the power in is good but the unit is completely dead so I kinda think it's the logic board but I don't know for sure.

I'd begin by looking at the owner's manual. I found it at Garage Door Manual, Opener, Genie, Chamberlain, Overhead, Liftmaster in the Liftmaster section, 'screw Dr' section. The troubleshooting section on pages 29-30 looks helpful.

It could be almost anything, from simple to complicated. I wouldn't pay anyone to look at it, but if you have a friend who is handy and might do a quick look (make sure to show them the manual) for free I'd try that. Otherwise, save your money toward getting a new unit, with a known history.

Comment

I would suggest purchasing a new garage door opener, since you don't know any of the history on the existing one simply because it will cost you about $100 just to have someone come and tell you what is wrong with it and then you will need to purchase parts to fix it, if it can be fixed.
      A new opener usually runs between $300-$400 dollars installed depending on your location and then you would have 10 to 12 years of good reliable use from the new opener.
      Good luck!

Comment

Logic board

It's pretty simple to install a logic board. You should look into that.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =