Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air nailers

I've got some work to do repairing a fence for an elderly friend. Another friend offered me his compressor and framing nailer. He's a DYIer, same as me, and has only marginally more experience with air nailers than I do.

I know about the different types of nails you have to purchase, and you have to match the nail to the gun, etc.

I also know from having repaired the fence on my own property that the nails used to attach the pickets are a little smaller than the nails used for attaching the rails to the posts.

So, here's my question: is there a nail gun specifically for the pickets? Or do I use a framing nailer with shorter nails? I can swing a hammer with the best of them, but if I could use a nailer it would certainly make the project go faster.
    Bill in Kansas City, MO

Measure with a micrometer
    Mark with a crayon
    Cut with an axe.

nailers vs ???

why not go with stainless steel screws? Most framing nailers accept a 3 inch full head or a 3 inch half head nail. Next comes a 2 1/2 and 2" nails. Anything smaller you'll end up using a 1 1/2 inch brad and brad nailer. Pickets are generally 3/4 or 5/8 inch thick.

Comment

Nailing is by far much quicker, screws are by far much better. The real issue is going to be nail length 5/8 pickets and 1 1/2" rails means an absolute max. nail length of 1 1/2" (nails will drive into the picket and pickets are different thicknesses so you don't want to risk have nail points exposed on the rear side of the fence). 1 1/2" nails for a nail gun are a not available, as mentioned previously they are finish nails and they are not suitable for fencing.
      I have seen roofing nail guns used with 1 1/2" roofing nails on fences, these really are not suitable either as they are straight shank nails with flat heads and will without a doubt pull out.

If you want to nail rather than screw then twist shank galvanized nails are the way to go hand driven and cheap.
      Just as easy would be 1 1/4" - 1 1/2" exterior screws although a little more expensive.
      Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
      Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =