Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(1968 Home, NY) Who puts adhesive tile on a hardwood floor?

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (1968 Home, NY) Who puts adhesive tile on a hardwood floor?

Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-07-14_13-58-58_262.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	87609Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-07-19_17-55-53_497.jpg
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	87610

So I pulled up my carpet in the small bedroom expecting a beautiful hardwood floor. The large bedroom was great, the small bedroom had Armstrong adhesive tiles stuck to it. Well, not even the tile, but the backing to it. The previous owner took up the tiles but couldn't get the backing up, so they threw the carpet padding on top of it.

What a PITA to get up. First I used a plastic scraper (drywall tool) to scrape most of it up. First picture is pre-scrape.

I tried Goo-Gone, which worked..ok, but not economically feasible as it would take buckets. I tried mixing it with Hot water, but it was as effective as just hot water, or nothing.

I used denatured alcohol, but it tends to take some of the finish off. I guess I'll be refinishing it anyway.

The only thing that takes it off easy is Mineral Spirits. Pour it on, wait 5 minutes, and the adhesive comes off it one piece. And now I use a snow scraper from my car. (after I broke the other tool)

I just wanted to throw this out there in case someone runs into a similar situation.

-Drew

Name:	2012-07-19_17-55-28_688.jpg
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	87611 goo gone, still dirty not scratched

Name:	2012-07-19_17-55-35_567.jpg
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	87612 Someone used a metal scraper when I wasn't there.

Name:	2012-07-19_17-55-44_917.jpg
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	87613See the whiteness from the denatured alcohol?
    Last edited by Drew1d; 07-20-2012, 11:19 AM.

Drew:

I would use a tungsten carbide paint scraper to get that stuff off the floor. Tungsten carbide scraper blades are sharp enough to do some serious scraping, but not sharp enough to gouge your hardwood unintentionally.

Comment

Originally posted by Nestor View Post
      Drew:

I would use a tungsten carbide paint scraper to get that stuff off the floor. Tungsten carbide scraper blades are sharp enough to do some serious scraping, but not sharp enough to gouge your hardwood unintentionally.
      I'll take a look for it, thanks

Comment

floor

since you are going to refinish it, I wouldn't use a 30 grit open coat paper initially but about a 100 or 120 grit. gradually go up in grades to about a 220 grit on the floor sander. the oak looks to be maybe 3/8 inch thick. my dad had a similar width in his house.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =