Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Refrigerator / Freezer: 1 temperature control or 2 - does it matter?

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refrigerator / Freezer: 1 temperature control or 2 - does it matter?

I am in the market for a new refrigerator with top freezer. Some units have one temperature control for both freezer and refrigerator, and some units have separate controls. For a single control to work, the ducting of the cold air must be perfectly balanced at the factory, right? Dual controls allow the user to control the ducting of the cold air so that freezer and refrigerator are at the proper temperature. When I read on-line refrigerator reviews, I see some complaints about the single temperature control refrigerators where the user cannot properly set the temperature in both the freezer and refrigerator (if one is at the right temperature, the other may be too cold or too warm).

Any thoughts of which is best? Does it matter?

I've been using a refrigerator with only a single control for 20 years and have never experienced any temperature imbalance problems. Having dual controls might have some added bennifit but to me it isn't a necessity.

Also, on many newer models electromechanical dampers are used which can fail and make for more service over the life of the appliance. Additionally, those dampers are frequently actuated by an electronic circuit. Those electronics can also fail adding to the appliance's lifetime cost. A plain manual adjustment secondary control (found on more inexpensive models) wouldn't suffer any of those added expenses.

JMO

Dan O.
    Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Last edited by Dan O.; 07-23-2012, 12:18 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I have 18 "freezer on top" frost-free fridges in my building, and none of them have a baffle to vary the amount of cold air flow into the fresh food compartment.

But, over about 10 years so far that I've had these fridges, not a single tenant has complained that they can't "control the ducting of the cold air so that freezer and refrigerator are at the proper temperature", which is what you're concerned about.

And, this is from tenants who will complain to me that the broil element on their stove isn't working even though they have never broiled anything and don't intend to start.
      Last edited by Nestor; 07-22-2012, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =