Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dishwasher Hums loudly during wash cycle. Need help getting to motor.

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dishwasher Hums loudly during wash cycle. Need help getting to motor.

Okay, my dishwasher hums during the wash cycle, looked it up, sounds like it is an issue with the motor impeller. I have read how to get there, but I can't seem to get there, I've looked at videos, but I think my dishwasher is poorly designed and that I might have to remove the whole unit.

I have a whirlpool
    GU1200XTLQ1

First picture is from the inside and where I should have been able to get to the impeller (know its small, but I can't post links because I don't have enough posts)

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	87614

Second picture is the water line, if I remove the whole unit and disconnect the water line is that white stuff some sort of sealant I would need to reapply or is that nothing important?

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	87615
    Last picture you can see a plastic clip in the top right, there are a couple under there from what I can tell, will those help me get access from the top side?

Name:	photo 3.jpg
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	87616

Thanks
    Last edited by ACardAttack; 07-27-2012, 12:14 PM.

my dishwasher hums during the wash cycle, looked it up, sounds like it is an issue with the motor impeller
    It could be something jammed in, or a problem with the pump's chopper blade (see the following link). It is a fairly common problem area.

LINK > GU1200XTLQ1 Food Chopper Assembly

First picture is from the inside and where I should have been able to get to the impeller
    Not yet, there's more disassembly still needed to access the impeller. The page at the following link (and the video at the link above) shows a step you are likely missing.

LINK > Whirlpool built Dishwasher Chopper Repair/Replacement

JFYI

Dan O.
    Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Last edited by Dan O.; 07-26-2012, 09:57 PM.

Comment

Thanks! I feel like an idiot! I missed the screw in the bottom because of how dirty it is

Comment

I don't know squat about your dish washer, but more people should be aware that there is an inexpensive tool that provides a reliable and easy way to determine the source of a noise in a machine, like a car engine, a garage door opener or a major appliance, and that tool is called a "mechanic's stethoscope".

You can buy a mechanic's stethoscope at any place that sells automotive tools. They range in price from less than $15, like this one:

to $100 or more, like this electronic model:

Sound is nothing more than air pressure variations being caused by something moving. To use a mechanic's stethoscope, you simply touch the end of the metal probe to the thing you suspect of making the noise. The closer the probe is to the source of the noise, the more the metal probe will move in unison with the part making the noise, and the louder the noise will be heard through the stethoscope earphones.

I have a cheap Lisle mechanic's stethoscope that I bought for about $10 over 20 years ago and I find it's all I need to locate the source of a noise in my car's engine, in an appliance, and even in a toilet tank cuz they can make some pretty weird noises too.

Just thought I'd throw this out so that DIY'ers are aware that mechanic's stethoscopes exist and that for a mere $15 they can accurately and reliably pinpoint the source of a strange noise, which can otherwise often be a difficult thing to do.
        Last edited by Nestor; 07-26-2012, 10:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ACardAttack
          I missed the screw in the bottom because of how dirty it is
          Let us know how you eventually make out.

Dan O.
          Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Im having trouble getting the pump inlet protector off. I can't get the thing to budge, I've removed the screws, ive tried wiggling it, pulling up with force, using a flat head screwdriver to get separation, and no luck so far. Any tips? It is not coming off no where as easily as the video showed

Comment

Finally got the thing off, on the chopper, there are no blades what so ever, looks like the broke off, but I can't find anything that looks like blade parts, so I have no clue what happened to...gonna go up and get another chopper from the local appliance part store

I cant get the new chopper installed!!! I get it in there, BUT it doesnt lock into the impeller, even with maneuvering. Also when I rotate it, I can tell one blade is scraping against plastic on the bottom. Probably hard to see, but I cannot for the life of me get that white part to engage with the impeller. I have the screen in the right slot, perhaps did the place give me the wrong chopper?
              Attached Files
              Last edited by ACardAttack; 07-27-2012, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Finally got the thing off. on the chopper, there are no blades what so ever. looks like the broke off, but I can't find anything that looks like blade parts, so I have no clue what happened to [it]
                Hopefully it didn't get sucked into the pump. If it did, the motor might have to be dismantled from the pump to access the internal parts. See if the motor can be turned by hard before installing the chopper.

JMO

Dan O.
                Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

I got it fixed....the impeller was broken at the tip, so I had to replace the whole motor unfortunately, finally got it though! Its working right now

Comment

Fixed

Glad to hear it. Thanks for the follow up.

Dan O.
                    Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Okay, this hasnt been fixed...it washed fine, but it did not pump water out...water just sat in the bottom...any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by ACardAttack
                        it washed fine, but it did not pump water out...
                        There are separate motors for wash and drain. You might need to look into the drain pump motor (see the following link). It might be jammed up, the motor defective or maybe just the wiring to it came loose.

LINK > GU1200XTLQ1 Drain Pump Motor

JMO

Dan O.
                        Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        =