X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Softener keeps running

Help!!!

My water softener won't stop running.
    I have no idea how to run this thing. I have turned this dial in every possible possition and still, it won't stop running.
    If anyone could help me figure this out, please let me know. Do I need to replace the whole thing, the dial, or am I just missing something?
    Here is a picture of the dials.

my appologies for double posting, the forum said there was an error.

Comment

Sorry about the error. I deleted your other post. Good luck with your water softener, and welcome ot the forum!

Comment

What is the make and model? Is it a single or a double tank system? Is there a plug or a circuit that you can shut it off until you get to know how to "program it"? Post back with info and you will get advice Hube

Comment

I have checked the outlet to make sure there is power and reseated the plug of the water softener, and still this evening it is running.
          There is water coming out of a drain pipe that goes to a floor drain in the laundry room. When I turn the dial, I can hear that something has changed (sound of whishing water changes) but It just won't actually stop.

It is a "double tank" and on the side of the little tank it just says "Automatic Water Softener".

I think the make is Culligan, and the model may be for just the controller part, but is A-167-0, A-364-0, D167-0.
          See the picture below.

Thanks,
          Ash

Comment

I will ask again " is the softener on a plug or circuit that you can disconnect until you get a tech in to look at it.? Hube

Comment

Sounds like sumpin's stuck! I don't think unplugging it will help, as it sounds like it's mechanically stuck in the backflush or rinse mode. I would recommend that you turn off the water and turn on the by-pass. Unplug the unit. That will stop the constant outflow of water. If your 'handy' call or contact Culligan on line and request a rebuild kit for that unit. Take the vavle head apart and replace the 'o' rings and seals and any springs that may be in there. Lube it with some vaseline and reinstall. Make sure that any filters that are in line to the brine tank are removed and either cleaned or replaced. The tricky part will be for you to set all the dials to the 'correct' settings. That may take a long while. Plug it in, set the correct 'time-of-day'. Then set the time you would like it to auto regenerate..(say 3 in the morn?..) Now...here's where you need a chair and a good book...(along with paper and pencil). There's a little lever that says "Push for manual regeneration". Pushing that will start the cycles. THere's a few of them. What you need to do is let it go through each cycle and mark down the time on and the time off for each. It starts with turbulating the resin bed and backwashing it. Then it sucks brine from the brine tank. Then it flushes the brine from the resin bed. Then it refills the brine tank. Now that you know what you've got, you can go back to those dials and correct any that are not what you need. THe directions on that label spell it out pretty good. Just take it all step-by-step. Let us know how you made out...

Comment

I tried unplugging it and nothing has changed.
                I called the Culligan man this morning, for I was hoping for a quick fix, it seems this may be a little more complicated. I did turn off the water and open the bypass valve. I wish I knew about that a few days ago. Oh well, live and learn I guess. Thanks for your help all, I'll post back and tell you what the Culligan man says.

Comment

Originally posted by Ash View Post
                  I tried unplugging it and nothing has changed.
                  I called the Culligan man this morning, for I was hoping for a quick fix, it seems this may be a little more complicated. I did turn off the water and open the bypass valve. I wish I knew about that a few days ago. Oh well, live and learn I guess. Thanks for your help all, I'll post back and tell you what the Culligan man says.

I had the same problem with my Culligan Platinum Series Water Softener. Water continuously drain even at the by-pass mode (lever pulled to "by-pass" position. I tried almost everything or the solutions being offered. I want to post my experience to help other homeowners who try to fix this kind of problem. "Print the operating manual and list of parts for your unit. Familiarize your self with the parts and their location. Turn off water supply to the house if bypass is not working. I replaced the seal pack. It cost me $135. Unplug the unit for at least 1 hour. Try to plug it, if it displays your previous setting, then you have to unplug it longer until the unit's computer resets to default setting. The default setting is shown on the operating manual. For my unit, it was with no power for 4 hours.

Plug the unit, turn on water supply to the house or push the by-pass lever to "service" position. In my case, when I did these two steps, I know immediately that this was the solution because there was no more water discharging or draining. I went ahead and set up the unit using my previous settings. Did a regeneration, after the entire cycle, no water discharge. I would provide detailed steps to help out, just notify me. Thank you.

Comment

Unplugging the unit won't stop the water. If the bypass won't stop the water; it's no good. If you need parts you are stuck with Culligan, nobody else will have the parts nor will most of us attempt to work on a Culligan.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    =