Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cedar

My daughter had a large wooden planter installed along her patio...it is held together with large countersunk brass screws...I was there when the painter came to finish the painting of it as it had a primer on it...the screw holes were plainly visible..so I asked the painter ..should the screw holes not be filled before painting...he said that as it is cedar... in time the cedar will swell and cover the holes
    She lives in Northern Canada where the temperature gets down really low in the winter

Cedar will swell (like most wood) but it will shrink as well, so to say the cedar will permanently cover the screws is incorrect. Are the screws visible or are they located on the inside of the box ?. If they are visible from the front you can fill the holes with a good quality caulk and touch up with the same paint.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

cedar

thanks pushkins...I figured as much so that is why I asked the question...the planter is well built and the screws are on top and side..they are countersunk into the wood about ΒΌ in. and are brass....shoudn't painters know these things and not leave a good looking object with holes visable all over the place
      Thanks in advance

Comment

You could pop some wood plugs in there then paint over them, plugs are available at the big box stores, just check the size first. ( I often find that 3/8" can be pressured fit in).
        Yes a painter should know better.
        Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
        Every day is a learning day.

Comment

cedar

Thanks pushkins that is good advice...I omitted to tell you that this is no little planter..it is about 30ft long and 30in tall...so the visible screw holes are significant

Comment

planter

if you have a drill press, you can buy a "plug cutter" chuck in the drill and make your own plugs.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =