Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ROOF PITCH, ROOF AREA [ as in for shingles]

Pushkins,
    I have tried to figure my roof pitch 'cause I need to replace shingles pretty quickly.
    I read different sites but the result is always the same. so much rise per 12 inches of run.
    ok, my base distance from the [triangle] base to the peak is 8.25 feet.
    one-half of the [base] is 7ft 6in. the whole length of the roof from rafter end to rafter end is 15 feet.
    what is my pitch? once I get this then figuring the area in square feet shouldn't be hard.
    Tom [hayzee]

Kinda odd numbers 8' 3" rise (8.25) with a 7'6" (7.6) run these numbers give you a 13:12 pitch with the following formula:
    rise"/run" x 12 = pitch
    rise 8.25' = 100"
    run 7'6" = 90"
    100/90 = 1.11
    x 12 = 13.3 (rounded = 13)
    = 13:12 pitch
    That's a steep roof

Your rafter length is 11.2" (so multiply 11.2 x length of the building and you will have sq. foot for that side of the roof)
    it's also 48 degrees.

Easiest way is to get the ladder out and a level, mark a line on it 12" from one end, on the roof place the level with the marked end on the roof and hold it level measure the distance up from the roof to the mark (at 12" from the end) if it measures say 6" then you have a 6:12 roof. multiply that number by 1.12 and you will have the actual run from rafter tail to ridge, multiply that number by the length of the roof and you will have total square feet of that side of the roof.

If a ladder is not an option go inside your attic and make a vertical plumb line on a rafter put a speed square on the rafter on the plumb line with the straight edge on the line , look across at the numbers on the angled side, if it's on the 8 then you have a 8:12.
    You can actually do the roof version with a level on the inside of the attic as well.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

ditto

Thanks, Dan. I have a crawl space with no storage. My only way to calculate the height of the roof is to count the number of siding [revealed] slats - multiply by 3" the width of a slat. the fascia board is 9 inches wide, the [what looks like a cove moulding under the roof sheathing] is 3 inches. Multiply and add all this stuff together and diviide by 12 is how I came up with the 8.25 ft.

Comment

Is it a steep roof ?

Comment

roof

kinda. I need jacks to get up there. I can walk the roof but with difficulty

Comment

okay just checking cause at 13:12 it makes it a 48 degree roof. Bet you have no snow trouble...lol

Comment

Working...
            X
            =