Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screen Porch Door Sagging

Hello I've searched and cannot find an answer, and I"m a newbie but correct me please if I've missed something. I have a screen porch with a door that leads out to a deck (basically part of the deck is covered and screened). The door was replaced about 9 months ago after a hailstorm. The new door was nice but scraped against the deck when it opened. The installers trimmed the bottom and it was OK for a while but now its scraping against the deck again. Any ideas to fix this? Trimming the bottom even more seems like a bad idea since there is already a gap at the top of the door. What other solutions would be best? Has anyone ever had this problem before?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	SaggingDoor.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	87625

screen door

remove the door and place it on a set of saw horses. the upper right most part where the hinges go is the area of concern. use a carpenter's square and see how much out of square the door joint is [upper right] you could take apart all the joints and reglue them, then use dowels installed at an angle in each of joints to keep them square -or- use a long rod and turnbuckle from the upper part to the lower left part and bring the door back into square.
    the second thing is use the square and see if the door jamb is still square. if it isn't the house is settling and the door case is shifting out of square. you may need to re-fasten the door casing if the house has shifted.
    Merely trimming off the bottom of the door is not a fix.

Comment

What I did with an old door going out of my screen room was attach a double wire at the bottom corner opposite the hinge, then the other end on the top corner near the hinge. Put a nail between the wires and start turning the nail to twist the wires until the bottom corner lifted up enough not to scrape anymore. Let the nail rest against the door so it doesn't untwist itself.

Comment

screen door

yeah, that'll work too, but it ain't very professional looking.

Comment

yeah, that'll work too, but it ain't very professional looking.
          When it comes to Honey do's I never was very professional, but at least the door closes now instead of letting all the bugs in. I just hate to buy a new anything if the old one can be fixed. And believe it or not, you have to look carefully to see the wire.

Always remember; when mama's happy, everybody is happy!

Comment

Your local hardware store sells wire kits that will fix this issue... I have used them on my fence gates and they took the sag right out

Comment

just go to your local lowes or home depot and get the wires. that will fix your issue.

Comment

Working...
              X
              =