Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retaining Wall drainage lining

I am nearly finished with the 3rd retaining wall on a steepish slope.

i am installing 4" lined drainage tile on a bed of drainage gravel. I was thinking about lining the bottom half (approx. a drainage pipe diameter) with a narrow strip of plastic to divert as much water away from the base of the wall and into the pipe as possible?

Is this over-kill but possibly a good idea?

Thanks
    picture rotated?

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00587.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	87633Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00626.jpg
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	87634
    It\'s sometimes better to be lucky than smart.

You could add the plastic/visqueen to the base, but really there is no need. In a wall like your building the reality is that most/all water will seep through the wall. The drain tile is typically used to remove the pressure from behind a wall that can retain/hold water like a solid brick/block wall or basement wall etc... With your concrete block wall there are many many places water can seep through (and that's the point of the design). Now if you were to line the rear of those blocks with plastic from the drain tile up to the finished ground height the tile would take the hydrostatic pressure off the wall by allowing the water to drop down and into the pipe (as it cannot pass through the wall).
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Originally posted by pushkins View Post
      You could add the plastic/visqueen to the base, but really there is no need... Now if you were to line the rear of those blocks with plastic from the drain tile up to the finished ground height the tile would take the hydrostatic pressure off the wall by allowing the water to drop down and into the pipe (as it cannot pass through the wall).
      Thanks...I was really only thinking about linning the bottom half of the pipe to channel water away from the wall altogether because of the slope and possible liquifaction of the base with enough water during our famous deluges...at any rate, I lined it, and got on with the project before the tornadoe warnings began this afternoon....

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00628.jpg
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	87086Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00632.jpg
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	87088Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00633.jpg
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	87089Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00634.jpg
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	87090

I backfilled with drainage gravel and closed up the patient!

DONE!!!!!!!!

Thanks for taking the time!
      Attached Files

Comment

Looks great, I bet there was a beer at the end of that job ?
        Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
        Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Originally posted by pushkins View Post
          Looks great, I bet there was a beer at the end of that job ?
          Sodium Naproxen...OMG... I have had a pallet of material sitting under the tree all summer; ALL SUMMER. I t has been near 100 degrees and there wasn't enough money in the world to get my *** out there to begin/complete the job. So Every time I would look out of the dinning room window and ponder this project. Then the weather broke and I got fast to work! My back is a mess this morning but I have to get to LOWES and buy about 7 more bags of drainage gravel to complete the job: GOOD RIDDANCE!!!!

Thanks for taking the time!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
          X
          =