Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crawl Space Winter Preparation

Hello,I live in the White Mountains of AZ and my home has a vented crawl space. I want to block the crawl space vents for the winter to avoid the cold drafts but I do not have plastic down. Will this cause any issues or will it be ok to do for just the cold months? Thanks in advance...

Unless your crawl space is "conditioned" meaning heated and cooled with a completely sealed floor area is is unwise to "seal" the airflow. Conditioned crawlspaces have the plastic/visqueen laid over the entire floor area and sealed against the crawlspace walls and piers with either tape or sealing resin, as well they have some sort of heating/cooling to also help reduce humidity etc... Sealing the vents of what you describe in your crawlspace could be very problematic with moisture issues especially with no covering over the dirt floor. How old is the home ?
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

the home was built in 2007. it has vents built into the block crawl space wall every 10 feet or so. they are adjustable but will not close all the way. I'm assuming this is to choke them down for the winter? Thanks for the info

Comment

Closing the vents is much different to sealing them off for the winter, most often nowadays crawlspace vents are automatic they will open and close automatically depending on the exterior temperature, when closed they still allow a very limited amount of air movement usually enough to alleviate any moisture issues for the winter.
        Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
        Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =