Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need confirmation on a refridgerator compressor not running.

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need confirmation on a refridgerator compressor not running.

I've got a 13 yo kenmore fridge 106.59599992. The other morning I came down to a dark fridge, reset the breaker (thinking it was storm related) and went on. Later on I realized the fridge was no longer cooling. The fan is running, no compressor but was hot. Ran out and got a relay/capacitor and installed it. The compressor now starts but shuts off after a few seconds. Checked continuity from comp connectors to ground and they're open. Checked ohms across the comp terminals and get 2.3 and 1.2 from the common and 3.2 across the start and run. From what I've read the comp is toast, or did I miss something? Thx

Wrong relay?

Originally posted by HeadnSouth
    I Ran out and got a relay/capacitor and installed it.
    Do you mean you installed a 'universal' relay/overload/capacitor? Such a device will not function properly on the type of compressor used in your refrigerator. Only the manufacturer's suggest replacement relay should be used.

LINK > Kenmore Model 106.59599992 Relay/Overload Kit

The compressor now starts but shuts off after a few seconds.
    Running your compressor on a universal type relay kit will cause the compressor to overheat and could damage it permanently. I suggest you leave it unplugged until the proper replacement relay can be installed.

JFYI

Dan O.
    Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Thanks for the info. I replaced what was in the unit. A universal relay. Can I check anything else before I order the OEM part to make sure I don't have a fried compressor?

Comment

I checked the LRA and the comp said 20 and I read 20 with my amp probe. The comp is toast.

Comment

Quote: "Checked continuity from comp connectors to ground and they're open. Checked ohms across the comp terminals and get 2.3 and 1.2 from the common and 3.2 across the start and run. From what I've read the comp is toast, or did I miss something? Thx "

That is indicating the compressor windings are okay....

LRA = Locked Rotor Amps, which is the current when the windings are first energized and rotation has not yet begun..aYour LRA was listed @ 20A and you measued 20A

That means the compressor is fine,,,the problem is that the relay is not properly energizing the start winding to begin rotation.

While the universal hard start kits with a combination capacitor, relay and overload protector do work on most compressors there are some which will not work correctly with the hard start kits..If you will follow the sound advice that was previously given: forgo any further tinkering and get the correct OEM relay you will be able to save your fridge, otherwise you are almost sure to relagate a good compressor to toast as you put it.

You can go to a local HVAC supply house or Appliance parts house and get the correct relay immediately.
          Last edited by LazyPup; 11-01-2012, 01:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =