Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for Hayzee--Gas furnace electrical supply

We have a Rheem gas furnace that is currently hardwired to a dedicated 15A circuit breaker.

I have been toying with ideas on how I could operate the gas furnace in the event of a power outage and I think I have a solution that would meet code, but I thought I would pass it by you before I make any changes.

The unit is currently wired from the breaker to the furnace location with 12/2 wg romex into a 2x4 box on a floor joist above the unit and it has a 12/2wg type SJ cable from the box down to the unit. The furnace is line of sight about 8' from the breaker box so we don't need a service disconnect at the furnace location, however,

I have been toying with the idea of installing a single 120v outlet in the 2x4 box overhead and putting a contractor grade plug on the SJ cable so the furnace could be plugged into that outlet for normal operation.

I would like to then install a small weather tite box on the back of the house and run a 12/2wg romex to a second 2x4 box beside the current one and put a single plug in that box and put a red cover indelibly marked "emergency power"

In this manner if we should get a power outage in winter I could set my portable generator outdoors and connect it to the outdoor box, then go to the furnace and unplug the cord from the house wiring and plug it into the dedicated emergency wiring for the duration of the power outage.

The furnace only needs power for the 1/4hp blower motor and the thermostat transformer, which is in the furnace control section.

I was also considering running a second dedicated line with a separate outlet as described above behind my so here again, if the power goes out I could simply switch the plugs.

The generator is a 5KVA Honda portable so I know it can handle the load. I was just wondering if there anything in code that would prevent me from installing the dedicated lines if they are clearly marked as emergency power?
    Last edited by LazyPup; 11-09-2012, 03:05 AM.

heater-generator

a cable with a male plug on both ends is called a suicide extension. that is because the remote end of the cord has live prongs exposed when the generator is running and anybody touching the plug prongs is essentially DEAD!
    If you want a dedicated cord for the heater using your configuration, I would use what is called a twist lock male motor base.
    Even a straight prong male motor base would work.
    What you would have is a cord with a protected female connector body that mates with the prong plug receptacle in the outside box.
    I would go with a twist lock motor base and female connector body.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =