Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Amplifier (JVC-SA22) : blows external fuse. Transformer Problem ?

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amplifier (JVC-SA22) : blows external fuse. Transformer Problem ?

Initially after the amp stopped working, I checked the external fuse, which was fine. Then after opening her up I found the two slow blow internal fuses had gone. These I replaced, and now the external fuse keeps blowing whenever I switch the power on. Could both problems be symptomatic of a faulty transformer, and how could I trouble shoot the problem. I love this amp !!

Thank you ....

amplifier

you're lucky to have your amp protected internally with fuses. most don't use any.
    check the circuit diagram for fuses in the power supply. if yours is a half wave with a center tap, then one of the diodes are shorted. it may also have a bridge rectifier connected across the two outer leads of the transformer which will give you full rectification of the sine wave.

Comment

amplifier

are you sure you have fitted the correct current fuses internally? if you have used higher amperage fuses than before then the external fuse would fail first i would suspect. the problem sounds like a blown output stage, possibly being caused by faulty speaker wiring or even too low impedance speakers being used. i would be very suprised if the mains transformer was at fault.

regards, peter

Comment

Working...
      X
      =