Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is a heat pump condenser fan load sensitive?

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is a heat pump condenser fan load sensitive?

During the day it sounds fine, smooth, no vibration. At night especially below 40 degrees it sounds like it going to come apart. I know it's a single speed motor, just curious if at night when it's working harder and the load is increased could this be a possible indication of early motor failure?

heat pump

the heat pump acts as an air conditioner in reverse. if it has a geothermal loop then its also extracting heat from the earth which stays at 58 degrees below the frost line

Comment

Whats the brand name and model number

Comment

heat pump

the noise you hear may be what's left in the lines when the reversing valve operates. at one point the unit is extracting heat, the next it is supplying heat. as you know in a/c the condenser is removing heat from the freon into the ambient. when the a/c is used for heat the condenser is extracting heat from the ambient or geothermal loop and supplying it to the evaporator as useful heat.

Comment

The motor was bad.

I took it out and the sleeve bearings where shot. Went to out local A/C supplier and bought a new one for $120.00, had it in and running in 45 minutes. Much better! It was only 4 years old though, that's the part that bothers me.

Comment

Glad you found it

Comment

It's and old Goodman PH042

21 years old and it still keeps going (knock on wood). I replaced quite a few parts on it.

Comment

Working...
              X
              =