Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• heat pump or not for new unit

I live in San Antonio TX. I am being advised that I don't need a heat pump, which I do have now.

Explained as a heat pump only benefits me in the winter and has more parts to go wrong. The typical heat strip is all that is needed in this climate and for our few very cold days, wouldn't cost much more to operate than a heat pump.

This would save wear and tear on compressor as it would get a break in the winter months.

Also unit without heat pump would save me a lot.

Your advice??

Rick

heat pump - a/c

a heat pump connected to a source of geothermal heat would extract heat from the earth. the temperature is 58 degrees four feet down year round.
    a heat pump also uses sequentially timed heat strips to augment what is drawn from the earth. expensive? initially yes but it will pay for itself after a few years. they use heat pumps in florida. only difference between an air conditioner and a heat pump is one item - a reversing valve.
    freon normally flows from the compressor to the condenser where latent heat is drawn off. it then travels to the evaporator where there is an exchange of cool air for hot air - liquid freon changes back to a gas after passing through the evaporator and is then drawn back to the compressor where the cycle starts all over again. a reversing valve changes the flow of the freon so that it goes to the evaporator where heat is given off. the condenser which used to give off heat, now absorbs heat from the geothermal loop.

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
      a heat pump connected to a source of geothermal heat would extract heat from the earth. the temperature is 58 degrees four feet down year round.
      a heat pump also uses sequentially timed heat strips to augment what is drawn from the earth. expensive? initially yes but it will pay for itself after a few years. they use heat pumps in florida. only difference between an air conditioner and a heat pump is one item - a reversing valve.
      freon normally flows from the compressor to the condenser where latent heat is drawn off. it then travels to the evaporator where there is an exchange of cool air for hot air - liquid freon changes back to a gas after passing through the evaporator and is then drawn back to the compressor where the cycle starts all over again. a reversing valve changes the flow of the freon so that it goes to the evaporator where heat is given off. the condenser which used to give off heat, now absorbs heat from the geothermal loop.
      Thanks,

What about the advise that an air conditioner would not run in winter saving use on the compressor and adding more years or life to it. This would be money saved if so. Was told the difference could be only $5 a month without heat pump. Only heat for about 3 months and maybe only 50 days of those. Still near 80 mid Dec.

Am I really penalized if I don't get a heat pump?

Rick

Comment

pros and cond for heat pump

I understand the use and benefit of a heat pump, but are there any benefits from not using one? My quote shows a $300 difference with vs without.

In San Antonio, the need for heat is usually very minimal.

Is this $300 well spent or not necessary?

Comment

furnace

then don't get a heat pump.

Comment

Heat pump....

I have family in San Antonio and in the winter their cold temps are our highs here in Michigan. ( I don't feel the least bit sorry for them!! [ ] But they do complain on those nights when it gets down right chilly. When you're used to high 90's and low 100's, dips to the 30's or 40's, regardless how rare, you're still COLD! They have invested in portable electric heaters to compensate. A heat pump wouldn't be a bad idea, in my opinion. Is it a window unit or whole house? Most likely usage of the heat is relegated to night time and early morning hours. So you might need it a few nights a year. You'll likely be using the a/c the rest of the time. The family there says they 'sometimes don't need' the a/c.... So the compressor gets a workout probably 95% of the time, and I would expect the heat pump side would work it an additional 2-3%. Since it's thermostatically controlled, the unit would decide when cold/heat is needed and work accordingly.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =