Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot water tank

I purchased my home about 2 years ago and found out my hot water tank is now about 8 years old...the tank is installed above a crawl space and it sits on a tray which is about the same diameter as the bottom of the tank..there is about ¼" space between the tank and the tray and the lip of the tray comes up about an inch... there is a a 1¼ pipe sticking thru the floor about 6 inches into the crawl space which I concluded comes from the bottom of the tray...I extended it over to a drain in the crawl space...my question is ..
    Is this sufficient to contain any water problems with the tank..as I'm afraid of flooding
    Thanks in advance

drain pan

I'm assuming the pan will accept any discharge from the t&p valve on top of your tank heater although I doubt it will accept full flow. the t&p is a relief valve for high temperature and high pressure within the tank. the discharge is rather forceful. if you can see the 1 1/4 inch drain, then I would use a piece rubber hose over the t&p pipe and direct its discharge into that pipe.
    I would rather see a drain pan with at least five inch walls but have yet to witness a full drain pan. the heater should have insulation so you don't see condensation on the outside of the tank.

Comment

Code prohibits discharging the T&P valve into the pan...per code both the pan & the T&P MUST HAVE a separate dedicated drain line that either terminates outside the living structure on the ground or into an approved indirect waste receptor.

The diameter of the T&P line must be equal to the diameter of the T&P discharge port or 3/4", whichever is larger.
      The diameter of the pan drain line must be a minimum of 3/4"

If the lines are discharging outside the structure, the point of termination MUST BE in plain view. (may not be concealed behind shrubs, lawn ornaments or personal items.)

Under the IRC (International Residential Code) the lowest point of discharge must be within 6" of finished grade
      Under the UPC (Uniform Plumbing Code) the Lowest point of discharge must be not less than 6" nor more than 24" above finished grade.
      There may be no threads or fittings attached to the discharge end of the lines.

There may be no traps, valves or other fittings on the discharge lines.

If discharging into a floor drain or utility sink the lowest part of the discharge line must terminate a minimum of 2" above the flood level rim of the receptor.
      Last edited by LazyPup; 12-18-2012, 11:24 AM.

Comment

hot water tank

thanks guys...the pipe from the pressure valve is outside of the pan and is installed thru the floor into the crawl space...my plan now is to install a 45° Y in the pipe I installed to take the pan drain over to my crawl space drain..... and extend the pressure valve pipe into the Y...using a hose
        That should do the trick..thanks again

Comment

Careful there...Code prohibits attaching a hose to the discharge lines.....

Code also says when discharging the lines outdoors in a climate subject to freezing the line should have an air gap before passing through the wall.

You could very easily meet code and prevent frost closure both at the same time. Get a lenth of the 3" corrugated pipe like they use underground and attach that to the floor joists so the ends of the T&P and Pan drain lines discharge into the corrugated pipe, and run the corrugated to your crawlspace drain.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =