Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cast iron main drain pipe problems

Hello all. I'm new here and came acrossthis site while researching on the internet for info with a problem. I'm hoping someone here can help. I have an old house with a main cast drain pipe to a new septic tank. I live in North-Central Ontario, Canada.

I have a ABS drain line coming from a washer and draining into the main cast drain pipe. In the past year we have been having problems with the draining water from the washer backing up into the toilet, and bubbling up in the tub,kitchen sink and bathrm sink. I thought this was a clogged vent problem at first and proceeded to try and snake the vent pipe. When I found I couldn't get the snake around a 90deg elbow, I decided to cut the vent pipe closer to the elbow and try to snake it again, still to no success. When I cut the vent pipe, I inadvertently, loosened the drain pipe from its (mastic ?) seal. And now when the washer drains, it pours out of where the vent pipe sits into the cast"T".

My question for this is...How do I reseal the vent pipe/cast "T"connection? Since the vent pipe is loosened from its seal, should I remove it to see if it is indeed clogged? Is it possible to remove all the mastic and fit in a new ABS fitting and then run a new ABS vent pipe?

Another problem since working on this, is that I have heard an animal, presumably a mouse since we don't have rats here, "splashing" at what I believe is the bottom of the main drain pipe. The main drain I believe turns 90degs to go out through the wall to the septic. Should I be hearing anything"splashing"? I'm worried that the cast pipe which is under dirt in the crawl space is rotten and the splashing I here is in a puddle in the dirt. My biggest worry now is that the main reason for the washer backing up is in fact a deteriorated cast pipe.

Please help shed some light on this. Any advice is welcomed. I'm a Cabinetmaker by trade and consider myself a pretty handy guy and I don't really shy away from anything....accept for anything to do with gas or fire. =) I've done a lot of plumbing but never any that connected to the septic....well accept replacing a toilet flange and toilet.

Thanks, Geoff

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3287.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	87700
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3293.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	87702Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3289.jpg