Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liftmaster 1345 opener problem

I have a Liftmaster 1345 that is approximately 5 years old. It has been operating a 16' X 7' custom solid wood door (very heavy - about 530 lbs). I know that the 1/3 horsepower opener is considerably less than recommended for this type of application; however, it has worked properly for the last 5 years. This is a standard residential garage installation, not 'high lift' nor is anything else unusual. I would appreciate your comments.

The problem that currently exists is this:

The operator is currently in the full up position and the door arm is disconnected from the trolley. When I press the button on the wall, the operator will travel about 12" in the down direction, reverse, and then return to the full up position. The light comes on, and does not flash during or after the operator has returned. I have replaced the reversing sensors with known good ones and that had no effect. I have increased the 'down force' adjustment to the maximum - again, no effect. I strongly suspect that my best solution will be to replace the operator with one that is more capable of handling a 530 lb door, but was hoping to find a temporary fix until I can afford a new operator.

In checking the balance and operation of the door, I have found the following: When I raise the door about 20" it will drop back to the floor. When I raise it about 42" it will stay in place. When I raise it about 60" it will continue to travel up to the top. It seems to me that the torsion balance spring is too weak and should be replaced. There are four springs installed on this door - 0.234 X 2"ID X 29¾" (2 LW & 2 RW) - each of them seems to be wound approximately 8½ to 9 turns. The hinges, rollers, and all bearings are in excellent shape and function properly.

Should I buy a new operator? What would be a good specification for this new operator?

Do the springs sound a little undersized to you? How do I figure the correct size balance spring?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge with me.

You should most definately get the correct operator installed. The liftmaster 3595 is the only one that i would reccomend. It has an I-beam rail that will not flex even with heavier wood carriage house doors. If you give me the size, insulated glass, manufacturer and model of the door i can cross check the spring size and correct amount of turns.

You garage door though does not seem out of balance from your description. Having the door stay in place half way up and not falling out of the head when fully open is the most important thing. Carriage house doors are always heavy on the floor. The one concern i have is the 9 turns. Most torsion springs take 7.5 turns. Maybe you do have the wrong springs, smaller springs and they tried to make up the difference with the extra turns.

I am a garage door dealer for every manufacturer. Get me the info and i will find out the correct springs size. The door SO# or Serial# would also be a big help.
    Last edited by tmordoor; 01-09-2013, 03:47 PM.

Comment

There are two labels on the door. One is "Plycraft" and the other is "Stewart Door Company". I suspect that Stewart bought the door panels from Plycraft and then applied the custom cedar planking to the front. If you go to the Stewart Door Company website, the model is the "Alamo". (Sorry, but because I am new here, I cannot post the link). There are numbers on the ends of a few of the panels - listed below. They are beautiful doors and in excellent condition with the exception of the original complaint.

Door size: 16' X 7' X 2" Number on the end of panels - 022307. As you can see from the picture there are no window panels. The 2" dimension is the main thickness and does not include the outline frames ( +approx ¾").

I have another, matching door that is 9' X 7' X 2". It's number is 020907. In terms of balance, I can raise it 20", 42", or 60" and it will stay in place. It's springs are wound to about 7½ turns. It seems perfect. There are two springs installed on this door - 0.263 X 2"ID X 38¼" LW RW. Would really appreciate confirmation that these springs are appropriate as well.

By the way, I had already decided that the Liftmaster 3595 would be the most suitable replacement for the operator. I really do appreciate your confirmation on that.
      Last edited by Lone Star Charles; 01-09-2013, 05:34 PM.

Comment

If the garage door is home made by a door dealer the only real way to know if the springs are correct is to weigh the door. If you give me the exact weight i can calculate the springs here in the office. You will need a scale for this. I think that your springs might be ok though if the door is staying in the open position when in manual mode. This should be checked twice a year especially if you have children. The last thing that you want to happen is for the door to come crashing down in its own when you pull the emergency release handle.

By the way............how many sections high is this door? If it is three sections high i dont think you will be able to get new springs to function better. Three section high doors are among the hardest in the garage door industry to counter balance properly. Let me know!!
        Last edited by tmordoor; 01-10-2013, 04:31 PM.

Comment

First to address your problem with the LiftMaster 1345. It can be a bad RPM sensor. Or if the trolley come up and hit the stop bolt, the bushings in the gear/sprocket assembly is worn so much that the limit switch gear has skipped. Gear/sprocket rebuild kit is $25-30 +shipping and the RPM sensor is about $ 10 + shipping.

The springs on your 16X7 door sound like they are not match to the weight of the door. With 9 turns on them and door very “hot” and springy @ the top. As you explain with your 9X7 door, that’s how or close to what the 16X7 need to be. I guess it been install by professional installer and it be working OK for the last 5 years, I will not be the one jumping up and down and tell you that you need to replace the springs before I can do any other work on your door.

If you are looking to replace the opener, a good option for your door is the LiftMaster 3800 Jackshaft opener that is mounted on the end of the torsion spring tube.

Comment

Alright, I weighed the door this afternoon. What a chore! However, one thing that I did learn when I unwound the springs was that all four of the existing springs are .234 X 35

The 16 X 7 door weighs 548 pounds.

The 9 X 7 door weighs 310 pounds.

Is there a formula that you could share for calculating the correct spring?

Thanks again for all your help.

Comment

You could probably find something online. Any garage door parts company that sells springs should be able to tell you the correct size. Try servicespring.com as they should have a conversion program. We have the program on our computer at work. I will take a look in the morning.
              Last edited by tmordoor; 01-10-2013, 06:46 PM.

Comment

I have a torsion spring calculator here in my office. If you give me the weight, door size, drum size, and amount of lift, weather it is standard lift or low headroom I can calculate springs in a few minutes.

Comment

Thanks ODG.

There are four torsion springs on the door, two left wound and two right wound.

door weight: 548 lbs
                  door size: 16 X 7
                  drum size: 4"
                  amount of lift: 7'
                  standard lift

Comment

Originally posted by Lone Star Charles View Post
                    Thanks ODG.

There are four torsion springs on the door, two left wound and two right wound.

door weight: 548 lbs
                    door size: 16 X 7
                    drum size: 4"
                    amount of lift: 7'
                    standard lift
                    4 springs 33.5" x .243 x 1.75", 2 lefts and 2 rights or in 2" diameter: 30" x .243 x 2", 2 lefts and 2 rights.
                    Hope this helps

Comment

Thanks to all who responded. Great answers.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      =