Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 422 Fan Circulation Speed

I recently acquired a 422 that hasn't been fired up in several years. I was able to get it to start but have a question concerning the speed of the circulation fan.

Even with four "burner lights" on, the circulation fan speed seems low. It had good, warm air coming out the front grill but at what I would call a low speed. I have never seen this unit run so I don't know what's normal and what's not.

Should I see the circulation fan speed chance as the unit heats?

FWIW, the room temp as displayed on the heater was 42 and the set temp 60.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

the heater's fan is a result of what stage of heating it is at. it starts out as slow then shifts into a higher speed if demand requires it. its just a two speed fan.
    you said your readout is saying 42. firstly I would check for an open in the thermistor or wiring to it. the heater defaults to 42 degrees if the thermistor is disconnected or there's a break in the wiring.
    the heater will operate constantly no matter what the set point is set at.

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
      the heater's fan is a result of what stage of heating it is at. it starts out as slow then shifts into a higher speed if demand requires it. its just a two speed fan.
      you said your readout is saying 42. firstly I would check for an open in the thermistor or wiring to it. the heater defaults to 42 degrees if the thermistor is disconnected or there's a break in the wiring.
      the heater will operate constantly no matter what the set point is set at.
      Thanks for the reply.

The room temp was, ironically, 42 degrees (outside greenhouse) confirmed with a thermometer in the same area.

As the heater ran, the display slowly rose matching the thermometer almost to the degree. As the room temp and set temp matched, the burner would throttle back and the burner lights would reduce.

I just thought the circulation fan would put out more air then it does and, with nothing to compare it to, I wasn't sure the relatively low fan speed was normal. But I will re-check the wires and connection.

Thanks again for the reply!

Comment

ok, then the unit is functioning properly. the fan is a very quiet operating machine. having only two speeds, the motor shaft is about a 5/16" diameter so it won't produce a hurricane type of flow. just enough to keep air moving past the four finned heat exchanger and heat the room.
        if you get a chance to, look through the small window and see what color the flame is. turquoise with little or no yellow tips is great!
        AND, yes your heater is tracking the room temperature as it heats up.

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
          ...if you get a chance to, look through the small window and see what color the flame is. turquoise with little or no yellow tips is great!...
          As I look through the small window, I can see the flames...within the first 15 or 20 minutes of operation, the flames are blue. But after warming up, some have a small yellow tip to them.

I did remove the intake hose and clean it out. I also removed the restrictor plate but that didn't seem to affect the flame tips.

I'll only use this heater to heat my small greenhouse this spring and then probably sell it.

Again, thanks for the info!

Comment

Working...
          X
          =