Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monitor 422 kerosene heater error message "8888" and owners manual

Hi
    does anyone know what the "8888" code means?
    Does anyone have an owners manual for the monitor 422?
    Thanks,
    drbcollie

8888 does not mean anything. That is the default it goes to when the heater is shut down or shuts down. It will go to this if the clock is not set. Any error codes will come in the form of a E and then two digits.

Comment

The M422 doesn't give (E) error related code numbers. Anytime it has a fault it will also flash 8888. If the heater is shutting down then flashing 8888 it's indicating you have an operational problem. You can tell us the symptoms you're experiencing before the shut down and maybe someone will be able to help.
      Last edited by FordMan59; 01-31-2013, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info.
        The heater will cycle thru starting 2 or 3 times and then it goes off
        and the 8888 flashes. It was completely rebuilt 2 years ago. It workered fine last winter
        but this winter this has started happening.

Comment

Owners Manual

You can download all owner manuals for Monitor. Try monitorproducts.com

Tom

Comment

When I experienced this problem with my 422 it was because the flame ring was distorted and kept shorting out on the flame rod. Since your chamber was just rebuilt a couple years ago the flame ring should be good. You might check that the flame rod is adjusted correctly and check to see if it has carbon built up on the flame rod causing it to short out. You might also want to check that it's receiving kerosene to the burn pot. I also have the Monitor service manual in PDF format if you need a copy. Just send me your email address in a PM or post it in this thread.

Comment

Monitor error codes

This is page 56 from the M422/ M441 service manual. The M422 does have some error codes, but they are not the best. Most indicate a failure of the main circuit board in some way or the other. You very seldom see the E01 code even when the flame sensor is sooted, so this is not much help either. Even the earlier generation M40/M41 had codes and they were equally difficult to figure out. The last generation of heaters, the M2200/M2400 have more codes and are much more helpful in diagnosing problems. As stated before you will see 88:88 when the stove quits, if the clock is not set. If you see 88:88 all the time and can not make changes with the indicator board you have had a main circuit board failure. In you case I thing you will need to go into the combustion chamber again and put in a new mat and ring.

Tom
              Click image for larger version

Name:	M422 error codes.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	87148

Comment

Originally posted by hawkins111 View Post
                This is page 56 from the M422/ M441 service manual. The M422 does have some error codes, but they are not the best. Most indicate a failure of the main circuit board in some way or the other. You very seldom see the E01 code even when the flame sensor is sooted, so this is not much help either. Even the earlier generation M40/M41 had codes and they were equally difficult to figure out. The last generation of heaters, the M2200/M2400 have more codes and are much more helpful in diagnosing problems. As stated before you will see 88:88 when the stove quits, if the clock is not set. If you see 88:88 all the time and can not make changes with the indicator board you have had a main circuit board failure. In you case I thing you will need to go into the combustion chamber again and put in a new mat and ring.

Tom
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]2145[/ATTACH]
                Guess I was wrong. I've never seen a service code on my M422 and was thinking the owners manual said "8888" was the indication of error although I haven't read it in years, so maybe I'm mistaken. Anytime it has shut down because of an error I get the "8888" regardless of whether the clock was set or not.

Comment

It will flash 8888 if it shuts down they just don't mean anything specfic. All monitors except the Monitor 20 and Monitor 30 had error codes. Most of the time you can't pay a lot attention to the error codes. It is always best to start checking the simple things in and around the burner before tearing it down or doing a rebuild of any of the parts. I work on at least 150 a year. Might rebuild 6 blowers. Tear 2 or 3 sumps apart and put in 8 or 10 burner matts. The majority of the time it is the burner sensor, burner ring or the oil line going into the burner. I have probably fixed 25 this year that the oil line rung off in the burner pot. But that is a normal thing and has been for the last 20 years.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  =