Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repair rotten wood

Am new to this forum so have no clue as to protocals

Have to rebuild water damaged wood rot on kitchen cabinets. These are back supports, behind the sink not visible on completion. There will be minimal loading (Load will be carried by the old and new wood with the filler just filling a 1 inch void). The fill will provide support for new wood being added.

Plan to use Durham's "rock hard" water putty. It recommends mixing the powder with water to consistency.

My go at the problem.
    I want some flexibility so how about adding 2/3 latex and 1/3 water to the powder? Latex is water soluable and cures in air. It seems the paint adds a measure of flex but allows matches the water compatibility and cure.

Am in a time bind so have to choose a method by Fri Feb 2. Thanks for any advice.

Thanks to all, Pappy in NC

Any other suggestions?

water putty

I've used Durham's water putty on various projects. I filled some holes with it in an outdoor bench and painted over it. It washed out of the holes in the rain, so I wouldn't recommend it in the moist area around a sink, where it seems you have a water problem.
    How about spray foam? It sets up fairly firmly, is easy to carve, is water resistant, and has some flexibility. There are also 2-part epoxy fillers on the market expressly made for repairing damaged wood. I think I remember them being used on "This Old House" in restoration projects.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =