Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What keeps the fuel nozzle in place on a 441?

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What keeps the fuel nozzle in place on a 441?

I unscrewed the fuel line from the nozzle and somehow pulled the nozzle out the front along with the line. I can't seem to get the bugger to go in and tighten up. Is there something I'm missing?

The nozzle has a ridged flange around it that is drastically off center. Is it supposed to be like that?

fuel nozzle

You need a new burner pot or a very good welder. The nozzle port is really brazed to the pot. The nozzle is round as is the hole it fits in. The rub is the nozzle is at a very specific angle and depth. For all the trouble it's going to be to get it just right you are better off buying a new pot. When removing the fuel line be sure the pot is cold.

Tom

Comment

The "rough flange" is the brazing used to attach nozzle to the pot . I took it to my local welder and he tig welded it back on . You can usually get proper alignment by fitting the break together . What is important is having enough space from the nozzle to U shaped trough for the igniter and under it so you can fit a new burner pad , about 3/32" . It also easier to put the new burner pad in while the nozzle is out before repair . Mine has been working proper for the last 3 weeks since the rebuild . Good luck
      Last edited by ticki2; 01-31-2013, 08:05 PM. Reason: wording

Comment

I took the burn pot with me to work today. (I work in a machine shop.) One of the guys with experience in oxy-acetylene brazing repaired it for me. The alignment isn't perfect but I think it will work. It's centered left-right okay, but it's up higher than it should be, almost halfway up the igniter flange. I think it will be okay though. Gravity will pull the kerosene down to the mat. Does anyone see any issues with this plan before I fire it up?

Comment

feed tube

if I remember correctly the fuel nozzle goes only so far into the burn chamber. the rest of the distance is taken up by a brass sleeve that directs the kero to the center of the mat in that U channel.
          the channel is riveted to the bottom of the pot.
          The burner mat is just a sort of wick for the kero so that a flame isn't centered quite in the middle but all around the base of the chamber.

Comment

I am certainly no expert but it seems to me the nozzle/sleeve was purposely designed to have a downward slope to it . From what you describe , with the tip being high it may not be enough , I don't know . The material is pretty soft , I would push on it and bend it down some while it is out . The worst that can happen is it will need to be brazed again but I doubt it . It also has to align properly with the hole in the outer cover to be able to fasten the fuel line . Good luck

Comment

You should not have a problem as long as the pot will go back in the burner and the oil line screw back on. That is were you have to be very careful you can't be off any at all on the brazing and alingment if you are you start over again.

Comment

I finally got around to putting this thing back together today. The fuel line would not screw on because the outside metal was blocking it. So I dragged out my Dremel and cut away a small portion of the metal, enough to allow the brass fitting to go on the nipple, and it is working just fine now. Darn paying $200 for parts if I can make this one work! lol

Comment

improper fuel nozzle fit

The only thing I would worry about is, if the rubber gasket on the fuel nozzle fitting does not fit right you may be losing combustion air. You should be able to see if it covers the hole completely. Tom

Comment

heater

you'd think they'd make that red rubber gasket a little bit bigger to cover the pot hole. but I guess they had to use whatever their supplier gave them. that, plus the fact that the pot does get hot! that's why the red silicone rubber. even this get brittle if it gets too hot. that['s why I leave mine alone. I had a bi*** of a time getting mine back together. I thought I had it back together only to find out it was cross threaded and the rubber didn't seal the hole. after dicking with it again, I got the angle correct and the thing screwed up tight.

Comment

That fuel line fitting on the pot can be a bugger . I find it easier to remove the fitting at the fuel pump first so the line is free to move and easier to align . The fitting at the pump you can see and less likely to cross thread .

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      =